Chapter 12

Spencer
I sent her a text message, before we took off for Detroit:

Hey. I'm so sorry about Hotch. I think he's stressed. I promise we can talk more when I come back from Detroit. Please just send me a text so I know you are alright. I love you

I put my phone away, and tried to study the case that was in front of me. It looked like a few power-hungry unsubs trying 'clean up the streets' Jack the Ripper-style.  JJ took the seat across from me on the jet.

"Did Bianca tell you where she was going?"

"No. And she will not respond to my text messages."

"Maybe she's upset?"

"Rightfully so. Hotch blamed her for Bruce's actions."

"I don't think he meant for it to come off that way, Spence."

"Yeah.  How did he mean for it to come off, JJ?"

"He's just worried. We all are... about Bianca... and you."

"None of this is Bianca's fault."

"I'm not saying that it is. We don't blame victims here."

"Oh really. What did Hotch just do, then?"

"Hotch was upset that she touched the swan sculpture. He was upset that you didn't call in the evidence until you got back to your place."

"She was scared."

"I know. And I'm sure you were too. Has Bruce ever left her anything before?"

My eyes began to water, "No."

"Okay," JJ leaned back in her seat. "So Bruce is escalating, which means that we need to find out why; and you both need to be more careful. I think that is what Hotch meant to say." JJ grabbed my hand, gently stroking my palm. "We're all on the same team with this, Spence. She's going to be okay."

"I don't know," I sniffled.

"What?"

"JJ," Bianca keeps getting sick. I don't know what's wrong. I can't stop it."

"Will she go back to a doctor?"

"She keeps pushing it off."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I think she doesn't want to lose her job?"

"Her manager wouldn't do that. Would she?"

"Not Eliza, but there is a new Business Adviser, George Thompson. I think he will, if she's not up to his standards."

"Bianca must be concerned."

"She is."

"Spencer, I really think that Bianca needs to know that you support her, and that she can still do her career."

"I hope she knows. She's amazing at what she does."

"And so are you," JJ clarified. "This ordeal will end with Bruce behind bars. For good."

_______________

"That's a nice shiner," Morgan joked as we drove back to where we were keeping the jet in Detroit.

"Well, if someone was quicker on his feet a black eye wouldn't have been the outcome."

"Ouch," Morgan emphasized, hitting his chest.
"I'm making a joke."

"It looks good on you, Reid, if I'm being honest."
I rolled my eyes and pulled out my phone. That's when I saw ten missed calls from Eliza.

"Did Bianca text you after what Hotch said the other day?"