Chapter 20

Spencer

Flashback:

"So what's the update?" Morgan asked Rossi.

"Damian won't confess, but the detectives have the pipe he used to perform the murders."

"And Bruce?" I asked.

"We shouldn't be talking about Bruce right outside of her room," Hotch expressed.

"Bianca is asleep. She had a rough night last night," JJ mentioned.

We all turned to Rossi.

"Well, Bruce is pursuing a conviction of Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity," he said.

"We found his semen on her body. And we know that he exposed her to hard drugs. How will that defense hold up in court?" Prentiss asked.

"It's happened many times in my career," Rossi solemnly responded.

"Bruce's actions were too calculated for that claim!" Morgan emphasized.

"Which is why," Hotch began, "we need to get as much information from Bianca as we can."

"Prentiss and I have been trying. We can't get anything new from her," JJ stated.

"Try harder," Hotch demanded, quickly answering an incoming call, and exiting the hallway.

"Alright," Rossi said, "let's all take a breather. I know this is hard, but we've worked these cases before."

"It's not that," I said quietly.

Morgan turned to me, "What do you mean, kid?"

"We save lives, and we see lives lost. She's kind of between the living and the dead."

"She's alive Reid," Morgan argued.

"But for how long? What if this just-"

I got cut off from Bianca's door opening. Her manager walked out. She was dressed professionally, and had a confident stature. Bianca rushed towards her.

"She shouldn't be up," Morgan exclaimed.

"Or running, Prentiss added."

"Spence,"JJ whispered, "Get her."

I began walking up behind the women.

"Eliza, please don't leave."

"I have to, honey. I'm sorry."

"I get my test results in an hour. I can't hear them alone. What if it's bad?"

"What if it's good?"

"This isn't like the Juilliard acceptance letter I find out...If I'm dying."

"You can't think of the worst, Bianca. Call me after you hear, and I'll talk to you as long as you want."

"Okay," Bianca responded in an almost inaudible whisper. She backed up against the wall, and slid down to the floor.

I approached her with caution. "Can I sit next to you?"

"I don't know if I'm ready for statistics on how unsanitary it is to be on the floor in the hospital."

I laughed, "I actually do have those statistics. But... I uh... I just wanted to see if you're okay."

"Oh yeah," she looked away from me.

"I've talked to Eliza a few times. She seems nice."