Chapter 18

Spencer

I rushed into the emergency room. My head was spinning. My phone wouldn't stop vibrating. My mind was blank.

"Reid," Penelope's voice came to snap me out of my trance. "Do you know where she is?"

"No. The person who called me from her phone-I don't know him."

"Excuse me, um, Dr. Reid."

I slowly turned around. I saw a man jogging up to me. He had on a sweatshirt and shorts over black tights. He must have been the one who called me. "Who are you?"

"Stephan. I work with Bianca."

I was silent. He held his hand out to me. "I don't shake hands," I dismiss. "Where is she?"

"She's getting checked over."

"Where is George?"

"He fled."

"Did they take his DNA. Are they running it against-"

"Reid. Please take a breath."

"I don't know. I just brought her here. She thought I was you. I don't know."

A huge tear ran down my cheek. Penelope put a hand on my shoulder.

"She's going to be okay," Penelope rationalized.

"Garcia, how many people do you know who go through this kind of thing twice, and end up okay, in the end?"

"Not many, but they did not have the support that you provide."

"I can't. I can't take her pain away," I sighed, defeated.

"She doesn't need that," Penelope explained, "She just needs you to be there."

I sat down next to Stephan. "I had a bad feeling about this George guy,"he expressed. "I saw how he looked at Bianca. He saw her as property."

I didn't respond. My knee was shaking. restlessly. Penelope grasped my hand.

An hour later, a nurse came out, and called me over. "Can I see her?"

"Of course. I just wanted to inform you that she has received emergency contraceptive and we ran the rape kit."

"Good, I mumbled."

The nurse nodded and motioned for me to follow her. Pulling open the partition to see her, broke me. Bianca had her face turned away from me. Her neck was burning from where he chocked her,

"Can I sit next to you?"

She didn't respond. I grabbed a chair.

"Please talk to me, Bianca."

She turned to face me, her face was covered with bruises. It was clear that she fought hard against George. "Can we leave?"

"The nurse is discharging you now. We're almost done. Are you okay with coming back to my apartment?"

"Yeah," she whispered.

"Does your throat hurt?"

She nodded.

"That's common. It will get better in a few days. What else hurts?"

Bianca shook her head.

"That's not true. What else hurts?"

She pointed to her lungs. That's what I was afraid of.