Chapter 16

Spencer
I reluctantly went on cases for the next month. Work wouldn't stop calling. All of our investigations went successfully, but my heart just wasn't in it. I wanted to be home. I wanted to be close to my girlfriend. We had been together now for 10 months. Almost a whole year.

Bianca was always at a rehearsal or a performance. She did her oxygen therapy in between. After collapsing at Eliza's, the doctors were closely monitoring her heart and urging her to take it easy. That was easier said than done.

We received time off, after a significantly challenging case in Texas, and I was happy to go home to Bianca. I craved her close to me. I went to her apartment after picking some things up at my place. I found her on the couch watching Juilliard's Spring Gala on her laptop.

"Hey Spence," she called, getting up to kiss me. "How was the case?"

"It went fine. How are things here?"

"They are how the are," Bianca plainly responded.

"Are you okay, Bianca?"

"I'm fine."

"Okay."

She turned her attention back to her computer, watching the video intently.

"Yeah," I started. "So it was pretty easy for us to catch the UnSub. She wrote these letters and I was able to decipher them."

"Oh."

"You're upset."

"You're profiling me now," she exclaimed, getting up and heading to her bedroom. I followed her.

"It's just-"

Bianca held her hand to my face. "You promised, that you wouldn't profile me."

"I'm trying not to."

She pulled out a shoebox from her closet. It held a pair of ballet shoes in them.

"Are those for dance?" I asked.

"Pointe," Bianca clarified.

"Ah," I responded.

Bianca removed the shoes from the box. They appeared to be in novel condition;Not yet touched. She gazed at the shoes intently, before turning back to me. "I bought these before- well you know, before what happened."

"For Juilliard?"

"I didn't know that I had gotten in yet. It was about a month before I got the acceptance letter. Before I went to that stupid bar with Eliza to celebrate."

"I'm sorry," I replied. My heart broke. I didn't know what to say.

Bianca turned the shoes around in her hands before throwing them into her trash bin with minor aggression.

"Wait," I exclaimed. "Don't you think that-"

"What," Bianca interrupted, "That I'll use these. When? How? My health is in shambles. It's time to give up."

"Science is constantly evolving, Bianca. You may be able to go back to school, or maybe get a better job."

"That's what I thought too. But the pulmonologist I went to, yesterday thinks otherwise."

"Why did you make an appointment without me? If you had told me, I would have taken time off to go with you."

Bianca turned away from me, and started walking towards her bathroom. I ran after her and grabbed her hand. "Wait. That was the wrong thing to say, B. I'm sorry. What did the pulmonologist say?"

"That I'm dying."

I froze and my heart completely shattered. I felt like I was going to be sick. I let go of her hand. "No."