Chapter 21

Bianca
Flashback

"We could do a number from The Nutcracker?"

"Ugh, don't make me relive my run at Washington National Opera," I exclaimed.

Eliza laughed, "How many years did you do it?"

"Ten Christmases. I started when I was thirteen, and stopped when I was twenty three. When did I get so old?"

"Oh stop! So, How are you and Spencer spending your Holiday?"

"We're going to Vegas to see his mom. We fly out, tomorrow morning."

Eliza arched her eyebrows, "First time meeting mom?"

"Yes."

"I can't see why she wouldn't absolutely love you."

"She's doing well in her new facility. I'm so happy for Spencer."

"Well, it will be your first Christmas together, he better make it special for my best friend."

I laughed, "Just spending time with him is a gift in itself."

"Says the girl who is literally wearing a diamond-infested top hat."

"For a number YOU choreographed," I defended.

"Fair point."

"Mrs. Rodriguez," a young women called from my dressing room doorway, "I have a question."

Eliza whipped her head to the direction of my door, "Please do not call me Mrs. Do I look like a married woman to you?"

"I'm so sorry," the girl apologized.

"Bianca, this is Lindsey, our newest ensemble member," Eliza introduced.

I extended my hand to her, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Lindsey."

"No, Bianca the pleasure is all mine. I've been looking up to you for years. The opera house, Atlas, The Sax. I'm sorry, I sound like a creep."

"No. Not at all," I replied. You must be excellent if you're here."

Lindsey blushed. "I'm actually working on my Juilliard audition. I know that you were set to go there before you were-"

"What was your question, Lindsey?" Eliza quickly interrupted.

"Oh yes, Mrs.-Ms. Rodriguez,, my character shoe broke. What should I do?"

"Go down to wardrobe and see if they can fix it. You're learning Tashuna's track tonight You won't be on stage until you learn all of the tracks."

"Okay, thank you. Nice to meet you, Bianca!"

"Likewise," I responded.

Eliza slammed my door, and took a swig of her whisky. "Relax," I begged her. "We were new once too."

"People keep asking about your-"

"I know," I said. "It's alright. Now I have to get preset."

Eliza walked me out of my room, "I love you," she said.

"And I love you." I blew her a quick kiss while 'Toxic,' by Brittany Spears ramped up.

I looked out and saw Spencer giving me a thumbs up. I winked in his direction, coming back to center stage. The routine for 'Toxic' was a little less flashy. I wasn't in harness. Just on the stage with the ensemble.

Once the opening number ended, I rushed back to my dressing room. Spencer was waiting outside of it. "Did you like the number?" I asked him, unlocking my door.

"I enjoyed it very much. Nice hat."

"Well, thank you. You are packed for tomorrow, right?"

"I am," he said. Then there was a beat of silence.

"Bianca, you don't need to come. I don't want her to hurt you."

"Has she met any of your friends before?"

"No...Well some of the team once."

"Okay. Well, I'm up for the trip if you are."
____________________________________
We were guided in by the receptionist at the residential facility. A nurse pulled Spencer aside to discuss a treatment plan. After a few minutes, the two came out. Spencer grabbed my hand, and we walked to Diana's room.

"Hi Mom," Spencer called. Diana turned around.

"This is such a stupid book," she screamed, running to Spencer. "You never call me."

Spencer glanced at me, and Diana followed his action. "Who is this?" She asked.

"Mom, this is my girlfriend, Bianca. I wrote about her in my letters. Do you remember?"

Diana shook her head, which made Spencer turn away from me. I scanned the book she had thrown on the floor, before slowly picking it up. "The complete world of Greek Mythology by Richard Buxton," I read.

"Yes," Diana whispered.

"Have you read these before? I find them amazing, but that's just me."

"Why?"

"When I was in community college, I took a class. We had to read this exact book. I loved the stories. I felt like it brought me to the core of humanity. I felt like life was beautiful."

"I guess I could give them a try. Now I'm remembering Spencer talking about you, you know. I'm sorry, hunny.

Spencer turned to us and smiled, "It's okay , Mom."

Then Diana asked, "Will you read one to me?"

I turned towards Spencer for approval. He gave it to me, taking a seat on the couch next to me.

"I would be honored to. Alright, let's start with 'The Love Story of Eros and Psyche."

Present

"I think I left one of my inhalers at your apartment," I expressed to Spencer, over the phone while riding the bus to my bar class."

"I'll bring it to you."

"Thank you, but that's not necessary. I have another one in my backpack."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Thank you so much though."

"Okay."

"Have you heard from your mom's doctor yet?"

"I did actually. The nurse said that she did exceptionally well."

I took a huge sigh of relief. "I am so glad to hear that, Spencer."

"It's just a trial. I can't believe she got accepted. I talked to her today."

"You did?"

"Yeah. She's feeling a lot better. She kept asking for you, though."

"I really miss her. I can't wait to see her again."

"Maybe we can make a trip at some point," Spencer offered. "Where are you by the way?"

"I'm on the bus to bar class."

"Alright. Please be safe. We're just finishing up the case. We fly home from Colorado, tomorrow. I'll see you tomorrow night after you finish your shift."

We quickly said goodbye, and hung up the phones. I still had a few more stops before my studio. As the driver was letting passengers off, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. I peered out the window. Bruce was across the street. I put up the hood on my sweatshirt and slumped as far down as I could in my seat. He didn't see me, but I saw him.