Four: Not your Type

Reese «

Reese «

"You ready?" My mom asked, grabbing her keys off the counter.

It was sometimes weird having a mom who was transferred to teach at the same high school I attended, thankfully I wasn't in any of her classes— but constantly hearing 'sheeesh that's your mom? she fine as hell..' was pretty strange.

"Yeah, we can leave."

Eden and Adam ended up staying pretty late last night, with my mom having to drive them home because they'd drunk so much. I get it. The dinner was...rough.

-

When I got to my first period, Sierra was the only person who was there. It was usually like this. I got to school early because of my mom, and she was somehow always here too.

With us being pretty much alone aside from the half awake philosophy teacher, I figured now was an appropriate time to bring up..last night.

"So....Sierra...." I said, sitting down next to her.

"Before you say anything, Reese I'm so sorry about how Sunday went. It was humiliating..I'm sorry about my grandparents and how they spoke to your mom. I'm sorry about how they stared at your uncles-"

"No that's not what I wanted to say. Don't feel bad about that shit Sierra. You were a great host."

"I can't help it..please tell your uncles I'm so sorry."

"Sierra I said it's fine...your family is great."

"You don't have to lie to me Reese. They suck." She laughed, setting her book down.

It sometimes took a few tries, but I was always able to get that stress and worry out of her so she'd loosen up.

"No, really. I've lived in homes way worse..your grandparents just seem..traditional."

Since I was a kid, it seemed like each foster home was worse than the last. The kids were mean to me, there was no space, the parents were crazy— it was always something.

"Right..traditional." She said, tucking a curl behind her ear.

Soon more people flooded into the classroom, before the bell rung beginning class.

"Alright, with the person next to you..I'd like you all to discuss the ethical dilemma I assigned to you last class." My teacher said, still sitting at his desk.

"You remember what the dilemma was?" I asked Sierra, taking out my notebook.

"Do you not pay attention in this class?" She said in a snarky matter of fact tone.