Nineteen: Dancer

y'all got crazy in the comments so now I'm confiscating phones: drop em in the basket 🗑.

You'll get them back when you get some sense

Reese «

"What are you so nervous for?" I asked Sierra, as I watched her fix her hair in the bathroom mirror.

As far as I knew, Sierra's aunt spoke enough with my mom to know what this dinner was really about.

"I don't know Reese...I mean tonight is a big deal. She might be my new guardian."

"She's still your aunt, you know her. You don't gotta worry. Plus Eden and Adam are gonna be here too. Eden is known for breaking the ice."

"You know I'm a worrier." She said, turning to face me. "Which uh..reminds me."

"Of?" I asked, unnerved by her tone.

"Is there something you should tell me?"

My heart stopped for a moment. This is the scariest question a girl can ask..if they say something, they already know something.

Play it cool. I know Aiden wouldn't tell her what I told him this morning.

"Like Uh..what?"

"Something about last summer?"

While I was relieved she didn't know about the other thing, this wasn't exactly much better.

"Did someone tell you something?"

"No. I just-"

"So no..I don't have anything to tell you." I said, standing up to leave.

"You know it's not fair what you're doing. You basically forced me to tell you what was going on with me-"

"Cause I wanted to help! This shit I just want to leave in my past, why won't you let me do that?"

She stayed silent, staring at me.

I didn't want to have to make a dumb excuse, but I just wasn't ready for this conversation just yet.

"Why don't you trust me?"

"I do."

"So what is it?"

"I love you, and that comes with me caring about what you think of me Sierra. Sometimes too much. So, please, like I said..I don't want to talk about it.

"You two come down! Our guest is here!"

-

Sierra «

"It was so kind of you to invite me here, you seem like a wonderful family." My aunt spoke softly.

It'd been forever since I'd last seen her. Her short Afro had now grown down to her shoulders, it was odd seeing her look so casual..since most of the time she used to visit me was after her shift. Without the glittery makeup she almost resembled my mother.

"Well it's great to have you here." Mrs. Adler smiled.

"Why don't you tell us a little about yourself?" Adam said.

Since this guy is the PROFESSIONAL in charge of getting me in the house with my aunt, I prayed she answered wisely.

"Well, I'm 35. I work two jobs, I work part time as a photographer and..I'm also a dancer."

Eden choked loudly on his water.

I noticed Adam glare at him, before speaking. "Oh, great. What types of things do you do in your free time?"