Twenty Seven: Church

👀...when ? lmk

Reese «

Yesterday my parents returned, seemingly in a better mood than I expected. After enjoying a quiet, but comfortable dinner, we all went to bed (Sierra unfortunately, not sleeping next to me)

Now that it was Sunday, and Sierra was set to leave tomorrow— I had to hold up my end of the deal I stupidly made with her.

Church.

"Don't you look handsome." She said, tying my tie.

"Mm. How long does all this last?"

"Depends on how Reverend O'Donald's feeling..no more than a couple of hours."

Reverend O'Donald. Where do I know that name?

"Will Hazel be there?" I asked, instantly remembering why I was familiar with the name.

"She will....it's gonna be strange though. I know everyone's gonna be wondering where I've been. No church..not even bible study-"

"So this is your church you've been going to, Sierra? Won't your...."

"Grandparents be there? Sure. But I miss it Reese, I really do. And I figured, it's church. They won't do anything there."

"Ah. Cause God is watching."

"No, cause they are obsessed with impressing the members of the congregation."

Using my dad's car, we drove to the church just outside of the city.

I was exhausted from waking up so early, and the only thing keeping me attentive was glancing over at Sierra in her cute church dress every couple of minutes.

"Damn it." Sierra muttered.

"What is it?"

"I left my bible, I'm gonna have to follow along on the app."

"So...you're really religious..huh Sierra?" I asked her.

Now that we're moving into a relationship, I was worried that my lack of dedication to religion would cause a rift.

"Hm. I don't...really...love everything about Christianity. I don't like everything associated with Christians either. But, I love church. Maybe not all day everyday, but I love the way it makes me feel. Most of the people are so loving, and warm. I love the energy and the music. It's a nice atmosphere. One of the only ones I've known for all my life."

"Oh..alright."

"You ever pray, Reese? Even though I know you're not so religious." She asked me out of nowhere.

"Well..yeah. I prayed to find a family for the longest, I pray that my parents are happy, I used to pray for you a lot...just hoping you were okay."

"I used to pray that you'd find a family too Reese. I also used to pray that I could be free from my grandparents, when I was younger I'd sometimes wish they'd just— that doesn't matter. My point is, I gave up on praying because I thought it would never come true. But with you..and Nivea..and your mom..it did. That's part of the reason I wanted to come back to church. My prayers were answered."

-

We finally arrived to the small brick built church, where their was a parking lot packed with cars.

In walked women in large fancy hats, and men in grey church suits.

"Thank you Reese." Sierra said, grabbing my hand.