Seven: Burgers

Sierra «

After the pep rally, school released..and the group headed in the direction of Aiden's truck. For some reason, Reese was oddly quiet despite the attempts of pushy Nivea to get him to speak.

"Can I talk to you, alone?" Reese said to me, stopping in his tracks.

"Uh..alright."

Once we were separated from the group, he crossed his arms.

"Bro." He said.

"What?"

"Why you being different?"

"How am I being different, Reese?"

"I don't know- everything with you has been..off. The fake boyfriend-"

"The fake boyfriend I made up so your friends would quit fucking harassing me. I thought you always wanted me to go and hang out with you. Now I'm here and you're acting like this."

"And what's up with this outfit..? Since when did you dress like that?"

"Since when did you run me? I wanted to look nice for today, and you told me I did."

"You do, it's just out of the ordinary for you. Your hair too-"

"I know, Reese. Is there anything else you want to point out??"

He stared at me, saying nothing.

"How'd you get that bruise?"

"Can we just go get in the car-"

"Sierra I'm tired of the hiding and lying. It's me and you right now. I'm just asking for your honesty. What happened to your face?"

"I'm tired of you interrogating me. I get that you care, just..respect my privacy!"

Reese «

Tears.

I'd never seen Sierra cry before.

I don't think she'd realized it, but with each angry word she threw at me, tears continuously fell from her eyes.

I'd struck a nerve.

"Woah..I-I'm sorry."

By now I didn't care that she was keeping a secret from me, I just felt horrible that I'd forced something out of her that was clearly a sensitive subject. More sensitive than I could've anticipated.

"I'm sorry. I'll leave it alone.." I told her, trying to get her to calm down a bit.

"Can we just go?" She said quietly, wiping her face.

"Of course...let's uh go ahead."

Fuck.

-

After an awkward car ride, we arrived to the burger place Aiden insisted on going to. The entire time, Sierra wouldn't even look at me— but instead, focusing her attention with Aisha.