Seventeen: Last Summer

Sierra «

Once it was reaching the evening, Aiden took Reese and I home.

We hadn't said much to each other in the car, but once we were in the house by ourselves..the silence was killing me.

"So...you wanna work on the math-"

"Are you mad at me? About the whole Justice thing?"

Not anymore.

"Why would I be mad? Who you wanna be with is your choice."

"But..I don't feel comfortable messing with people you don't like. Or even just people who treat people the way she treated you."

"It's fine Reese, I wasn't that bothered about it."

I was, why am I lying?

"I'm just making sure..that's all. I don't like hurting you, that's why I didn't tell you when it first happened."

"When did it..first happen? If you don't mind sharing." I asked as we both entered his room.

"Uh...early last summer."

Early summer. It was within the first few months of his adoption, and I remember him being..not himself. He always said he was alright, and I always took his word for it. Obviously..I had my own things to worry about at home.

Eventually he seemed back to normal, whatever he was going through..it seemed to be that his parents helped him figure it out. I didn't ask about it though, I was happy that he was happy.

"Oh..okay..did you enjoy yourself?"

"Sierra? Gross."

"You've told me about all your other sexual encounters. Why is this one different?"

"You know why this one is different..but since you asked, no I didn't."

"Why-"

"Enough about that Sierra. Why don't we talk about you? During the game you mentioned talking to Uhh..Garold— Gary- Garicks-Gertrude.."

"Garret. And what about him?"

"I know you like the kid and everything, but something about him doesn't sit well with me. How he left you when you were drunk at that party, how rude he was to me the time we saw him at the mall-"

"You never like any of the guys I talk to. There's always something."

"I'm just saying, maybe...he's not the type of guy you need."

"What type of guy do I need then?"

"A guy....like....me."

Huh?

"Uh I'm sorry?"

"Not ME specifically but a guy who will treat you like I would treat you..hypothetically."

"Reese you don't commit to any girl you're with. So no, I'm not looking for someone like you."

"Pshhh whaat? I do commit, when I think she's worth committing to."

"Ugh."

"Maybe I worded that wrong."

"Uh yeah."

As Reese was about to say something, we heard the door open downstairs.

"My parents are home..wait here, I need to talk to my mom for a minute."

"Wait HERE? In your room?"

"You're right, wait in yours." He laughed. "I won't be too long."

Reese «