2 | Home sweet Home?

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

My room upstairs was smaller than my room in Atlanta but provided enough space for me

My room upstairs was smaller than my room in Atlanta but provided enough space for me. A bed with a pastel orange cover and a white pillow stood on the left side at the wall. On its left side there was a large white closet where I'd already stored my baggage and clothes on the day of my arrival. Opposite the bed, a mirror on the wall made the white wall look less blank. They'd even provided me a desk with an angle poise lamp in front of the window (which offered me a view of the driveway and the desert. But also its shutter was normally down due to the heat).

Larry's and Xandra's bedroom was at the end of the small corridor, the bathroom to its left side. Downstairs, the kitchen with its small table and various wooden cupboards was connected with the lounge one could already spot from the entrance. I'd also spotted some doors next to the staircase - One led to a storeroom, one to another smaller bathroom and one to an office.

The day after my arrival I'd tried to phone my grandpa several times but he hadn't picked up, which was actually very likely for him so I'd decided to write a letter and had asked Larry, who'd offered me to post it, for the address as there was nothing else to do anyway.

Also: If one wanted to surf on the internet out here one required WiFi. So if one didn't own a WiFi router in this area one was basically cut off the world. Larry and Xandra did own one but Larry had told me that it had sort of malfunction and I wouldn't likely be able to be online until next week. Besides, apparently the two houses next to us were abandoned so I was basically stuck in the middle of nowhere with a fucking desert in front of the house. What else was I supposed to do?

Therefore, I'd taken the envelope and had written my new address for the very first time:

(Y/N) (Y/L/N)

6219 Desert End Road

Las Vegas, NV

***

On Sunday morning I caught that Larry's girlfriend Xandra was having a conversation with someone on the phone downstairs, probably a friend of hers. Unfortunately the subject of her "chat" was me. "Can you believe it?", I perceived her unmistakeable throaty voice and listening carefully, sitting on the upper stairs. "I didn't sign up for this. A girl. Hello?" An uneasy feeling hit me. I gulped. There was a pause. "Yeah, don't get me wrong, I understand the circumstances but the very last thing I need is a stranger in my house" Another pause. "I don't know, 17 I guess? 18? Shy little thing but who knows, you know?"

Great...This was my third day in Vegas and I already wanted to leave so badly. I'd never wanted to constitute a pain in the neck for someone...

Xandra, the strange woman who, what I'd learnt, worshiped (despite cigarettes) chewing gum didn't welcome my sudden appearance and Larry may treat me normal and may try his best to act in a friendly way around me but I felt like he probably was a bit overwhelmed with me, though. Actually, the only one who really made me feel welcome was the white Maltese. Occasionally he'd follow me everywhere in excitement and greet me panting and wagging its tail. Even Larry noticed Popper's affection towards me. As I went downstairs approximately half an hour after I'd overheard Xandra's conversation the dog began to bark enthusiastically and ran towards me.

"Wow, someone's really fond of you, (Y/N). Normally he only acts like that around Xandra", Larry remarked with a cup of coffee in his hand, motioning to the table where Xandra was already sitting and leafing through a magazine. "Someone seems to compete with you, Xan"

"Apparently", she said in a cold way without looking up from the mag, twirling a big strain of her blonde hair with her fingers. I bit my bottom lip and nervously played with my fingers as I approached the table.

Great... Another reason for her to dislike me.

At breakfast we sat downstairs at the small table on bar-chair-like black chairs. Through the glass sliding door I could see a sandy porphyry floor and a large pool with crystal clear blue water outside. No plants, no grass. As I wasn't very hungry Xandra had simply put a yoghurt on the table and as I wasn't very picky I took a spoon and began to eat in silence. While eating I felt Xandra's gaze on me as she'd put the magazine aside but I tried my best to ignore the uneasy feeling that grew in my chest. Apparently she didn't even attempt to hide that she was observing me. I could have asked her if there was something in my face due to her intense look and finally make her stop looking at me but instead I decided to remain silent. She was probably trying to figure out what she should think of me.

Larry cleared his throat and I lifted my gaze. With his black sweatpants, gym shoes and his grey loose-fit shirt he had a close resemblance with a PE teacher of my old school. "Well, concerning high-school I already arranged everything so you can start tomorrow and continue your final year class as usual without any problems."

"Oh, yeah? Thank you so much!"

"First period starts at 8 but you have to report to -...let's see. What was his name? Oh yes - Principal Wallis in his office at 7:20 so you'll get your schedule and will be shown around"

"Okay. Um...how do I get to Highschool? Is there a bus or something I can take to get there?", I asked.

Larry exchanged a gaze with Xandra who had lit a cigarette just a minute ago. Both failed at the attempt to stifle a little amused laugh. I felt my cheeks redden and stared at the yoghurt.
I shifted in discomfort on my chair and tried not to look offended. "Yeah well. Not exactly", Larry leaned back having composed himself and all eyes were on me again. "Here's the deal. I'm going to take you there by car tomorrow to show you the route" He folded his arms. "As we only own one car and I usually have to head to work at 5 plus your visit came a bit unexpected we didn't really have the opportunity to find a better solution but to provide you my old bicycle to get to school"

I looked at him for a moment, lost in thoughts. In Atlanta I had been used to go by bus everyday but I guessed that I would have to get used to getting up earlier and riding a bike instead every morning from now on. "No problem", I lied, earning slightly surprised gazes. Larry had offered me a possibility for a fresh new start so the least I could do was to try to fit in. "Will keep me in shape"

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────