23 | Broken Strings

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

It was half past nine when I woke up in my bed, still fully dressed. I jerked up and looked around, the sunbeams illuminating my room. I quickly changed and checked my phone before running downstairs. No calls, no messages from Xandra. It was an understatement to say that I was slightly disappointed and still worried especially after yesterday's incident.

"Larry?", my voice echoed through the empty house. "Xandra?"

I carefully knocked at their bedroom's door but received no response. Was Xandra still working at the bar?

Sighing I made my way downstairs and sat down on the couch with a glass of orange juice, listening to the silence. I couldn't bring myself to turn on the radio and listen to the charts when millions of thoughts and open questions still bothered me.

At some point I simply decided to take a cab to the bar Xandra worked in as there was nothing else to do for me here anyway. Sighing I told myself that everything was going to be alright.

Yet a couple of minutes later my life was about to take an unexpected turn...

***

I couldn't quite define what I felt when I entered the bar and spotted Xandra in the distance at first. She was standing at the bar in her black and white work uniform, her blonde hair falling loose over her shoulder. Her puzzled gaze was fixed on Larry as he lifted her slim hand while more and more people stood up and surrounded them. I gulped.

Music from the radio boomed next to me as Larry said something I couldn't understand at the distance, making Xandra widen her eyes and throw and hand to her mouth. I wished I didn't know what this all was about but I knew exactly and it made me feel sick and dizzy.

She still looked overwhelmed and confused as Larry revealed a ring and slowly put it on her finger.

I stood at the entrance frozen to the spot, my heart hammering in my chest as I dared to keep watching the scenario. After Xandra replied something and the crowd started to cheer and clap their hands a very unpleasant feeling hit my body. I tried to spot Xandra between the unknown faces but when I did my heart sank. She smiled from ear to ear and hugged my uncle, the golden ring on her finger.

Oh my god...

For a moment I was completely lost, not comprehending at all what I'd just witnessed. Nobody seemed to notice me, all eyes were on Xandra and Larry. Laughter sounded. Katy Perry's voice boomed into my ears from the radio.

At first I took a deep breath and looked around me. I wasn't dreaming. This was reality. No illusion. No nightmare.

Xandra was engaged to Larry.

The realization sounded so ridiculous and surreal in my head I needed a moment to process everything. Why? Why on earth did Xandra do this to me after everything we'd been through? She'd told me she loved me but yet said Yes to a man she didn't want to spend her life with!? Or had she lied about her life and relationship with Larry? How could she break my heart again???

The next moment two women moved and revealed a laughing Xandra. A feeling of great debility as if my knees would sink under me increased while the sight of her caused a sharp pain in my chest. What I felt in this moment was a mix of complete bewilderment, disappointment and sadness. I couldn't fathom Xandra had done that to me...