15 | Scars

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

Something was wrong, I could sense it

Xandra, my only reason to feel like the happiest girl on the planet, seemed to avoid me. At first I thought she didn't talk to me in Larry's presence to avoid acting different than before that night or acting suspicious in any way. Admittedly I felt weird facing Larry when he was around. I kept experiencing these pangs of guilt when I had to look him in the eyes. After all he was Xandra's boyfriend and Xandra had betrayed him with me. Why would I not feel guilty?

On the other side my feelings for Xandra were stronger than ever - She made me feel things I'd never experienced before. This woman could manage to intoxicate my senses even with the slightest touch. When her had lips met mine she'd managed to make a firework of tingles explode in my body. I'd arrived at a point where I could no longer imagine a life without Xandra around me. I'd been waiting so long to figure out what I felt for this woman, I'd struggled days and nights to accept my feelings for her but after everything that had happened I knew those were definitely genuine. Everything about her intrigued me. I'd met and fallen in love with the person I could imagine living my life with. She meant everything to me (corny or not) she was the key to my happiness.

Nevertheless, an undefinable distance separated us. Xandra seemed to be farther away than ever.

Although we were sitting at the same table, in the same house eating dinner and breakfast with Larry the distance in her eyes bothered me. Something was up, undoubtedly.

My faint suspicion confirmed when Xandra suddenly started to spent the majority of the time away from the house, away from me. She seemed to work more often and longer, often coming home when I was already asleep. Nonetheless, I occasionally heard her sneaking upstairs and barely audible closing the door to Xandra and Larry's bedroom. I realised we'd barely spoken except the day after the night of prom.

I started to mull over the whole situation until my worry grew bigger and bigger - Had I upset her? Had I done something wrong? Did she hate me for what had happened? The gnawing feelings of unrest and melancholy were slowly tearing me apart. Why did she avoid me? What kind of relation did we even have? I couldn't bear loosing her...

After some restless nights of overthinking I decided to finally ask her what was wrong. I could no longer move on with the thought that I might be the reason for her distance...

One evening before sunset when I came home from Boris' house, Larry was still at work and Xandra was busy doing the dishes the occasion arose. As I entered the kitchen and spotted Xandra with her back to me she didn't seem to notice my presence but I knew better.

"Xandra?", I asked carefully, nervously playing with my fingers. The room was filled with silence. Xandra paused her actions for a moment, then grabbed another plate.