24 | Xandra (Epilogue)

Last one! Feel free to listen to the final song I picked :) As always I'm going to publish a chapter with infos about a new Paulson book I'm working on and more next week! But for now: Bye Xandra! 💛

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

It had been two months since I'd left Vegas with Boris

It had been two months since I'd left Vegas with Boris. Exactly two months since my uncle had proposed to Xandra.

With a new phone number I'd made sure to start a new era of my life without Xandra. Boris had become an employee at his uncle's company, whereas I'd been working at a small cafe two blocks from our apartment. I had my own small room in the apartment Boris and I lived in, the kitchen, bathroom and "living room" (which was rather a small corner with one big couch and a TV) was shared by the two of us. I'd also contacted my grandpa and had told him about my work and life here in New York. Besides, he'd transferred money to my account to help me pay the rent.

To be honest I was quite satisfied with how well I was doing here in New York. It had taken a very long time to process everything that had happened back then in Vegas and there had been times I'd been thinking about Xandra non-stop. On the one hand, it had felt like something was missing in my life and that I could never be 100 % satisfied and happy here. On the other hand I'd slowly learnt how to deal with the huge loss in my life. At some point I'd even started to consider dating someone else to venture a new beginning.

Saturday, 4 p.m. As always I was sitting on a bench in the Prospect Park reading a book. On sunny Saturdays normally plenty of people enjoyed coming here but today was different. Very few people walked past me - A Lady with a Border Collie, a man with two kids, and a guy with earphones. I unwittingly perceived the rustling of the leaves from the trees around me, red and orange leaves were dancing in the wind before they connected with the ground.

I zipped up my coat and turned the page. I'd reached chapter 20 when I noticed out of the corner of my eye that someone sat down on my bench. With a quick glimpse I figured out that every other bench was free and frowned but didn't say anything before I continued to focus on my book.

As the person next to me cleared their throat I flinched and looked up just to gasp in shock and nearly drop my book a second later. With horror I stared into the familiar face and jumped up from the bench.

"What are YOU doing here!?", I heard myself stutter, confusion and horror getting the better of me.

Xandra in her zebra jacket stood up and tried to reach for my hand as she looked at me with sad eyes but I backed off quickly and stared at her as if I'd just seen a ghost.

"Oh my god, leave me alone! I can't believe you're doing this to me", I felt tears welling up so I was quick to turn around and walk off without looking back. Xandra called my name but I gritted my teeth and quickened my pace, eager to get to the metro immediately. How on earth had she found me? This couldn't be real...