4 | Closer

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

Saturday morning I went downstairs to get me a glass of orange juice and spotted Xandra in the kitchen with a mixer in her hand, stirring dough, apparently baking something. For the first time I saw her wearing her blonde hair in a low bun. A little strain hung in her face, which looked kinda cute. I could even smell her hairspray from here. Xandra was wearing white shorts, revealing her long, tanned legs, along with a blue crop top that had red and white stripes on its short sleeves. The top was short enough to give me a sneak peak of her tanned belly. Suddenly she turned the mixer off and turned into my direction catching me starring. I blushed slightly and immediately looked into the other direction pretending to search for something. The room was filled by the song „Beautiful Drama" by „The Faim", playing on the radio.

Why did I always end up in awkward situations?

"Would you be a dear and hand me the towel, please?", Xandra suddenly asked. I whirled around and spotted her looking at me expectantly with her brown eyes.

"Yes, of course" I immediately obliged.

"Thanks, sweetheart", she murmured, my heart skipped a beat at the last word. I was about to turn and head for my room again, completely forgetting about my actual intention to get me a glass of orange juice as Xandra's voice sounded next to me: "Wanna taste?" She pointed at the batter with her slim finger. How could she even bake with those long acrylics? Unsure I eyed the dough but then slowly nodded and Xandra handed me a spoon with the beige consistency while she licked a smear of the dough off her finger.

"Mhh...Amazing!" Just as I was about to take more, Xandra snatched my wrist, which took me by surprise.

"Uh, uh. Not so fast", She looked at me in an amused manner as she noticed my started expression and let go of my arm again. "I still need that"

"Too bad..." I sighed and put the spoon in the sink.

Still smiling slightly, she faced the mixer again. Maybe she didn't hate me that much, did she?

Later that day we were sitting at the table in the kitchen

Later that day we were sitting at the table in the kitchen. Larry was reading the newspaper while I was taking sips of my orange juice, checking my phone. Xandra (with her hair down again) entered the kitchen carrying some letters and a small parcel. I curiously laid my phone aside and watched Xandra put the stuff on the table. Even Larry looked up from the newspaper. Xandra sat down on the empty chair opposite me and pushed a letter over to me. My name was on it. "One for you", she murmured. "And two for you" She handed Larry, who laid the newspaper aside, the letters. Leading a cigarette to his mouth he murmured a weak "Thank you" before opening one of them.

Mine was from grandpa. Finally!

Dear (Y/N),

Glad to hear you made it to Las Vegas without issues. The first step is always the hardest but I'm sure you'll love it there over time. If you ask Larry nicely he might also take you with him one day and you'll get to see some beautiful places in the city. Wouldn't that be nice?

There's so much to explore in the district you live, you just don't see it at first sight. Take your time and look around. You won't regret it!

I'm sorry that I missed your calls. I tried to call you back but my phone's sometimes a mystery to me. We oldies aren't too fond of those high tech stuff, you know. I'm very glad you sent me a letter instead! I also saw you sent me some photos on the phone but unfortunately I have struggles to find them again. I accidentally tapped somewhere and now they are gone...

Well, enough about that. Have fun in Las Vegas and write me any time!

Yours, grandpa.

I smiled to myself as I'd finished reading but at the same time a wave of sadness built inside my body. I couldn't help but getting seized by homesickness. I tried to push the memories of Atlanta aside to no avail. At some point I cleared my throat and stood up abruptly with the letter in my hand. "Excuse me", I mumbled lost in my thoughts and scurried upstairs. I threw my backpack on the bed and fished out my earphones. Listening to music always helped me getting distracted. I went downstairs again and spotted Xandra paying attention to the TV with a lit cigarette and Larry with his back to me. Suddenly Larry turned around, which also caught Xandra's attention, and eyed me up and down for a moment. "You okay?", he asked rather incidentally than worried. For a split second I met Xandra's gaze.

"Yeah", I lied tightening the grip around my phone, "I was just wondering if I could go for a walk perhaps"

Larry shrugged and turned back to his newspaper. "Sure. Just be back for dinner"

As I was about to put on my shoes Popper came running down the stairs and barked twice as he spotted me at the door.

"Oh and take Popper with you, will you?", Larry shouted after me.

"Alright", I shouted back and barely audibly sighed. The white furball willingly followed me as I opened the door and stepped outside as if he'd understood our conversation. I put in my earphones and tapped on the first song of my playlist. With Popper on my side I walked down the street past the two abandoned houses. No people in sight, no cars driving anywhere. The melody in my ears made me forget reality for a moment, I was lost in my own world, which felt good.

We passed more houses, then I began to speed up. Popper, accepting the challenge, ran along with me in excitement.

After a while of running I jerked to a halt, a bit exhausted, and removed my earphones. My gaze fell to the Popper who looked at me in anticipation. Apparently he still had a lot of energy left. I looked up again and that was when I saw him standing at the opened window, observing me. The curly black hair and the brown eyes were unmistakeable. The weird boy from school was watching me from the window of the house in front of me with a cigarette in his hand. We locked eyes for a moment but as Popper barked once I winced, snapped out of my trance and drew my attention to him. As I lifted my gaze again the guy was suddenly gone, the window still opened. At first I couldn't believe my eyes and was a bit flustered by his sudden disappearing. I stood there a moment in confusion, then finally decided to head back home. What a weird guy...

Popper and me arrived in time just as dinner was ready.

"So, how was your walk?", Larry asked from the kitchen as he heard me come in. Popper barked and ran to Xandra who was carrying the dishes to the table.

"Fine, I guess"

"Anything special?"

I just shook my head and took a seat next to Larry.

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────