6 | Affection

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

When I finally arrived at home at sunset I noticed that Larry's car wasn't standing in the garage but in front of the garage, which was rather unusual as Larry didn't work nights and Xandra usually stayed at home on Fridays

When I finally arrived at home at sunset I noticed that Larry's car wasn't standing in the garage but in front of the garage, which was rather unusual as Larry didn't work nights and Xandra usually stayed at home on Fridays. I got off my bike, pushed it to the garage and leaned it against the wall.

I closed the front door behind me, drawing Poppers attention to me who at once raced into my direction as he'd spotted me and barked in excitement. Admittedly I was really fond of the white Maltese.

"Hi", I greeted him and kneeled down to stroke him gently.

"Ah, there you are", Larry remarked as he descended the stairs, dressed in his grey dinner jacket, a cigarette pack in his right hand.

"Yeah, sorry I'm late. There was something important I had to do", I replied with a sheepish smile and arose, hoping Larry wouldn't dig deeper.

"Alright. If I recall correctly there's still some vanilla panna cotta in the kitchen" Larry walked past me with quick steps (he was probably in a hurry) and grabbed his grey coat but then changed his mind as he searched for something in his pockets. With an annoyed "Damn it" he scurried past me again.

Deciding not to dig deeper, I made my way to the kitchen and spotted the dessert on the kitchen counter. I'd never eaten panna cotta before. It looked like a dessert of a 5 stars restaurant to be honest - a vanilla pudding like consistency with caramel sauce on top, nicely decorated with a few slices of oranges and lemons. I took out a spoon and carefully guided it with the vanilla like consistency to my mouth. Holy crap - That tasted marvellous! I took another bite. "Mhh...Who made this? This is amazing!", I asked as Larry appeared in the kitchen.

"Oh, don't look at me. I'm probably the last one who would even try to make desserts", Larry chuckled in amusement and sat down at the kitchen table.

"Oh, wow. Xandra has a hand for desserts", I murmured in admiration and ate up. "Are you heading somewhere later?"

"Yeah, unfortunately to my office. There's currently a lot to do"

Just in that moment Xandra came around the corner and appeared in the kitchen in her white shorts and wrapped her hands around Larry from behind. "Mhh...must be very important", she hummed and motioned her head closer to his shoulder.

"Oh, I doubt that. But I'll be back as soon as possible, don't worry", Larry grinned and put a hand on her cheek to pull her in for a kiss.

Out of nowhere I felt a sudden sharp pain in my chest and was forced to look away. What was that? Why did I feel weird seeing Xandra and Larry so close?

"Oh (Y/N), about the panna cotta...I'm sure Xandra will show you how to make it" Snapped out of my thoughts, my eyes darted to Larry, then to Xandra whose brown eyes lingered on me. She was now leaning against the table playing with a pack of gum in her hand. "Sure", Xandra murmured without breaking my gaze, "Glad to know you liked it" Her tone caught my attention. Where was the enthusiasm in her voice? Why did she always speak in such an uninflected tone if it was me who she was speaking to? If only I knew what I did to her to still dislike me...

"It was marvellous. Thank you.", I murmured and with my gaze lowered I reached for my phone in my jacket while Larry arose and made his way to the foyer. I quickly walked past Xandra aiming to quickly head for my room but just as I'd reached the staircase I perceived her voice behind me.

"If you need anything I'm probably sitting in front of the TV" Astonished I turned around. She was still lingering in her position, now chewing gum, her gaze fixed on me. "You may join me if you'd like to as well"

Admittedly, I would have loved to sit with Xandra and watch TV, maybe get to know her better meanwhile but there was something holding me back. Maybe the lack of enthusiasm in her voice again, maybe the distance in her eyes, maybe something different. In that moment something told me that it wasn't right to join her.

"That's very nice of you but actually I've got a lot of work to do until tomorrow but thank you anyway"

Xandra barely visibly nodded and turned her back to me.

As I'd closed the door behind me and was alone in my room I sighed, thinking about whether I'd made the right decision. No, of course it had been right! - She'd probably just asked to act polite towards me in Larry's presence.

***

"Time to get up!"

I was snapped out of sleep and quicker than I could react the curtains were drawn aside. Carefully blinking, I groaned as the bright sunlight filled my room. I pulled the blanket over my head, attempting to go back to sleep without taking notice of my visitor.

"Uh, uh", the blanket was pulled aside again and I groaned, finally managing to open my eyes and flinched at once. Seeing Xandra leaning over me nearly gave me a heart attack. I could smell her fruity breath and realised she was chewing gum again. Her chocolate brown eyes found mine.

"W-what's going on?", I stuttered in confusion, noticing the slight trembling in my hands and took a fleeting glimpse of the alarm clock on the bedside table. "It's Saturday. Why did you wake me at 7? That's literally the middle of the night!"

"Damn right, just the perfect time to make panna cotta, huh?", Xandra sauntered to the door, apparently amused by my puzzled expression and came to a halt in the threshold.

"But-"

"See you downstairs", she interrupted me with a sly smile, chewing her gum. Getting no chance to respond, I watched her disappear around the corner. Completely puzzled I pulled back the blanket and stepped out of bed.

As I'd finished getting dressed and brushing my teeth, I went downstairs, already convinced that Xandra had probably just pranked me but there she stood in her shorts and loose-fit cashmere like beige sweater with a deep v neck, having already gathered the necessary ingredients on the kitchen counter. Her hair in a messy bun. I tentatively stepped closer.

"What?", said Xandra coquettishly as she spotted me and my confused expression. At the base of her throat a tiny silver dove glistened in the sunlight. "Did you think I was fooling you?" I stood there, still stunned and a little helpless. Why was she in such a good mood today? Why did she treat me different? What had changed her mind? "Hm. A little speechless today, aren't we? You may come closer, I won't bite" A slight smirk appeared across her face.

I giggled nervously and felt my body tense as I entered the kitchen.

"Do you always get up so early on weekends?", I curiously asked as I'd finally found my voice again.

"No, just today to make you suffer", Xandra winked.

"Oh, wow. You really hate me - confirmed!", I retorted with sarcasm and Xandra let out a chuckle, revealing her white teeth. It was the first time I saw her like that in my presence.

What a beautiful smile she has...

"But seriously, making vanilla panna cotta takes quite a while. You'd be surprised...So, let's see. Let me get a pan" Xandra grabbed some kitchen utensils while I was leaning against the counter, watching her. When she turned around and caught me starring I slightly blushed but fortunately she didn't seem to take notice of it. "Alright. Could you hand me the gelatine?"

"Of course" As Xandra reached for the pack our fingertips touched for a split second, sending a slight tingle through my body, which flustered me. Why did I feel so weird sometimes in her presence? Unfortunately, it didn't go unnoticed by her.

"You okay?"

"Uh, sorry yeah. I was just thinking about something" God, what was wrong with me? I forced myself to pay attention again as Xandra started to explain the first steps.

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────