New Year's resolutions

The cream coloured celling hung high above, reflecting the warm yellow light of the crystal chandeliers.
Although, spacious, the venue visually shrunk down with every minute passing, filling up with increasingly more people.

God, he hated those huge social gatherings. All the noise and the obnoxious people...

At least the business meetings were a necessity with a specific time stamp on it. 'Parties', however, were not. They were just a means of maintaining a good reputation by boisterously showing off.

One by one, they all came strolling in through the main entrance, dressed in fancy garments - expensive suits, sparkly dresses and shiny accessories... and of course, those outfits couldn't be seen as complete without the stuck-up attitudes for some.
Unluckily, this was the case with the couple that very slowly walking or rather stopping midwalk, waiting for the woman to rummage through her purse and effectively blocking the entrance.

He exhaled, annoyed with a minor inconvenience.
The bicoloured country had enough of waiting for a perfect moment to squeeze past them, he stood here for at least 10 minutes and he was in a hurry.

"Pardon me." He flashed an apologetic smile at a woman that he brushed his shoulder against. At first she snapped her head in his direction angrily, but her scornful glare softened instantly after making an eye contact with the taller man. Her partner however, looked at him with a blood thirst, murmuring a couple of insults in his native language.
Ignoring this, the man in a black suit walked away from the couple at a fast yet steady pace.
This was not the time nor the place for getting into petty arguments over things that were so trivial.

"Hey! Lengyel, over here!" Called out the Hungarian, waving him over to the table in the left corner of the large, vintage hall.
He silently thanked God, relieved that only the V-4 members were sat at his table. At least he won't have to sit in an awkward silence with people he barely knows for the rest of the night. In fact, he could even say that he liked them quite a lot. Sure, it wasn't the most numerous of friend groups, but it's not the numbers that count. The four of them were all like-minded people, which is why they probably got along so well.
Better to have a few trusted friends than have your life filled with people that are just sticking with you for the gains.

"What happened? Did something hold you back?" Asked his best friend.

Aside from the qeues and the heavier than usual traffic, the only thing that really had held him back was himself. The bicoloured country spent way too much time on contemplating whether or not he should show up after all, and even more time just getting dressed. It's not that his outfit was overly complicated, just a black suit with a white shirt and a tie.

Unlike the fashion forward Czech Republic, being adventurous in his wardrobe choices wasn't really his thing. Poland was just a bit old fashioned. He appreciated the simplicity of the classics.
It wasn't picking clothing that took him a while, but finding motivation for attending the event in the first place.
It was hard considering how drained he felt after ruining his sleep schedule even further.

He was a creature of habit.

Maybe that's why breaking those old habits sent him onto a spiral of uncontrollable chaos?

As much as he denied it, the main reason why he even came here was...

Germany?

"Uh, long story... I'm sorry, I hope you didn't wait for me long." The bicoloured nation explained as he sat down in his spot.

"Well, don't worry about it now, you're still 15 minutes early. Most of the guest just began to arrive." The short man in a blue checked suit pointed out, leaning closer to his close cousin and resting his elbows on top of the table.