Old Time Amendments

Disclaimer: This chapter may or may not ruin France X UK / Gerpol a little for some of you? (Though both of them are still canon ships in this book.)

A pair of silver eyes looked up to the clock expectantly.

5:15

It was late, but at least he has managed to complete his work by the end of today. He sighed, exhausted but content that at least he can finally leave the cold grey walls of this building behind him. Though, looking through the wide window in his office made his spirits drop a little more.

Not only was this day hard day to get through, his return home was going to be equally as depressing as his stay in the office itself. The weather guaranteed it; with its miserable shades of bluish grayness and dark clouds that painted themselves across the vast canvas of skies above.

At least the quiet pitter-patter of the small droplets against the glass were soothing. Almost perfect for a stressful day like this one.

He got up, shuffling through the documents and setting them aside.
Lazily putting on his thick trenchcoat and reaching out for his briefcase, the bicoloured country was getting ready to finally leave.
The man had no intention of staying there any longer than he had to...
And that still would've been the case ten minutes later if not the slightly muffled cries of a woman he heard somewhere down the corridor as he opened the door.

He knew that voice damn well.

Last time he heard it like this must've been hundreds of years ago...

Probably at that heartbreaking moment that they both have tried to forget about for so long.
It almost brought a tear to his eye.

Following the silent echoes of the woman's pittiful whimpers the man walked down the corridor until he saw her. She was sitting on the stairs. Her dark sapphire eyes puffy from crying. Tightly grasping onto a tissue as if she was ineffectively trying to hold back the tears.

"Hey... France? Are you ok?" The tricoloured woman jumped up a little upon feeling the man's hand touch her shoulder.
She must've been too preoccupied to notice that someone was standing behind her.

"Non, j-je ne suis pa-s o-ok." Stuttered the French nation, her voice feeble.

"France, it's been years... You know that I'm more than just a bit rusty in French..." Said the white and red country quietly, although he already knew the answer. "Come with me, you shouldn't be sitting here on the floor. I'll help you up." Offered the Polish nation extending his hand to her, to his suprise she actually took it. Hesitantly, she got up from the stairs, and walked by his side until they got to his office, where she sat down on a much more comfortable chair.

"France, please tell me what's wrong." Requested the bicoloured man sitting opposite her.
The woman looked up, fixing the wavy white hair of her fringe  behind her ear.

"He's left me, Pologne." Responded solemnly the tricoloured nation.

"Oh Francja... I'm sorry to hear that." The bicoloured country patted her shoulder, trying to comfort her.

France and Great Britain were a complicated couple. Ever since France has decided to create a new family with the UK, they got stuck in an infinite loop of being 'on and off'. An argument followed by a short break up was nothing new to them, so it surprised him to hear that this was the reason for France's weeping. After all, they always came back together after a couple of days. It was only the matter of time until they were back together.

There was a time where the very thought of France and UK being together pained him... But that was a long time ago.
For the first couple of years he told himself that was happy to know that France was happy with the UK by her side, and as long as she kept on being happy he was satisfied.

Maybe it's for the better that after all those years feelings die.

Even if it was something more than a puppy love, it was healthier for him to bury the feeling than indulge in it.

No matter what it was, it was long gone,
and he couldn't get it back even if he tried.

" How could he? After all those years we've been together... He has left me, again. I can't believe it... I... I know that we often argued but I didn't think that he would just leave me like this..." Complained the woman, shaken by the whole situation.

"France, you know that this is only temporary... You know what he's like. He'll be back before you know it." The Pole reasoned, pausing for a couple of seconds, reminiscing the past.
It was a hard for him to believe that after so many years of mutual avoidance, even dislike, they were once again talking to eachother.
Just like they did before...
Not being ashamed of having a heart to heart conversation or being friendly to one another.

"Although, I hope you know that he's not worth you..." He said softly, maybe even somewhat nostalgically.

The woman didn't say anything, just looked up at him with her sad eyes.

A couple of silent seconds had passed again.

"Pologne?" She asked uncertainly, as the bicoloured country met her deep blue gaze once again.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry for the way I've treated you in the office and for pushing you away for all those years..." She paused, assembling more courage to say what she wanted to say for all those years but cowered away from saying.
" Sometimes I wonder about what we could've been now if I didn't act so stupid back then." The woman looked down in shame. Admitting to a weaknesses was hard for a country like her.

"It's alright. I wasn't a saint either...
We were both young and dumb.
You deserved better than me..."
They both avoided making eye contact with one another.

"I know we can't go back to what we had back in the day but... Can we.. at least be friends again?" The tricoloured woman asked as the other country rubbed her shoulder comfortingly.

"Of course." He half-smirked, happy to regain an old time friend in his life.

She smiled back at him, finally stopping the continuous flow of tears that stained her baby blue shirt.
But the few minutes of calm silence were interrupted.

"Hey, Polen!" The doors swang open with a shout.

_________________________________________
Author's note:

No spell checks, don't @ me plox

What's this? Franpol fanservice?? Yes but no, this is a set up for the next chapter ;)

Wait but didn't you say that you were writing a historical chapter? Yes siree, and I'm still writing several. Don't worry QwQ

I'm sorry for all my France x UK shippers out there. Pls don't beat me to death.

Once again, huge thanks to all of my ever so patient darling dumplings out there ! 💕💕💕💕

New chapter coming soon ♥️ :3