XXI: Not So Good Cookies

Harry assumed that Draco was telling his godfather everything that had happened between him, everything that Harry had ever done. So he tried not to think about it. Instead, he grabbed a chair from the table, dragging it on the floor loudly.

He opened the pantry and stood on the chair, looking at the top shelf. When he found a jar labelled, Do Not Touch, Harry opened it, finding it filled to the brim with cookies.

He took one just as he heard the door to the kitchen open and Draco's godfather's voice, cried out, "My cookies!"

Harry bit the cookie, saying, "They aren't that good." He put the bitten cookie right back into the jar, climbing down from the chair and dragging it back. Draco had his head in his hands and Harry added, "They aren't!"

"Why are you like this?" Draco groaned.

Harry told him, "I enjoy doing this to you."

Draco watched as his godfather fished Harry's cookie out of the jar, grumbling to himself. Draco put his face in his hands again, and Harry couldn't help but feel bad. He placed his hand on Draco's knee, tapping an odd number of times until the blonde looked at him, his hands clasped together with his temple resting on his hands.

Harry hurried his hand away, looking down at a burn in the table. When he did, Draco opened his hands, reaching for Harry's. He had never held the smaller boys hand, or anybody's for that matter. He intertwined their fingers together and Harry seemed to jump.

"I'll show Harry to his room, Sirius, " Draco told him as he was dumping out his container of cookies.

"Yeah, you do that."

Draco held Harry's hands as they walked up a set of stairs and Draco chuckled quietly. "I can't believe you did that."

Harry smiled. "I like being difficult."

Draco squeezed Harry's hand, his smile wide and bright. Harry smiled quietly as Draco opened a door, saying, "This is going to be your room, "
"Where's yours?"

Draco nodded to another door, telling Harry, "Just the next door over, "

Harry looked at the door for a long time, his voice sounding a bit choked when he repeated, "The next one over?"

"Yeah, " Draco replied quietly. He opened the door for Harry, continuing, "your bag is on the bed because I didn't know if you were going to set up your clothes in a certain way. Or whatever."

Harry looked at Draco and, on a grateful whim, he hugged him, his arms wrapped around Draco's neck. "Thanks, " he whispered. To his credit, he was trying very hard to be kind and to not be a complete and utter jerk.

Draco's strong arms slithered around Harry's waist, hearing the small, dark-haired boy sigh aloud when Draco's lips connected sweetly and softly against his temple.

Draco pulled away slightly, running one hand up Harry's back and continuing up to his face lightly. He brushed Harry's easy bangs back and kissed his forehead. Harry sighed again, the ghost of a smile on his soft face.

"It's whatever. I wasn't going to have you sleep on the couch. Maybe Remus could stay in Sirius' room."

"Remus? Like, as in Professor Lupin?"

Draco nodded. "Him and Sirius a bit of a thing. Like---" Draco crossed two of his fingers.

"Oh, " Harry said, his cheeks warm. They hadn't had an official talk about the two of them. He didn't want to assume; Ron and Hermione weren't called a couple because Hermione and his best friend weren't fond of labels. "And he knows I'm here?"

Draco nodded again, his blonde locks unusually messy. Harry wanted to touch them, but decided against it. He didn't want to intrude in his private space. It felt odd, being this close to somebody. Having them listen to your thoughts and know that you were thinking hard just by the way you pursed your lips was exhilarating, to say the least.

Draco looked down at Harry for a long time, neither saying a single word. It was nice. It was nice to look directly into a certain person's wonderful grey and blue eyes and think to yourself, How on earth do they look like that? It has to be inhuman.

Draco found it amazing that Harry's eyes could look so bright that they seemed to look like a lime when he was smiling and, in a flash, turn a dark, mossy colour when he was in a dangerous mood. But Draco secretly idolized the look and got an excited tingle in his chest when Harry's eyes did look like that.

"Well, " Harry cleared his throat, a familiar mask covering his face as he continued, "we'd better get back."

Draco, again, nodded silently, ignoring the urge to grab Harry's hand again and beg to him, asking of him to stay and they could talk about anything he wanted---even the creatures he so adored. But Harry was out of the bedroom door in a sharp moment and Draco lost the chance to tell Harry how he felt.

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!