XXV: Snuffles and Teddy

A few hours later, Harry had his head lying on Draco's lap, folding paper together and making the shapes of animals. He had a small pile over his stomach and, while Draco played with his messy, messy hair, Harry talked his own ears off.

He didn't really know what be was saying, but he just couldn't stop. Harry only did stop when Draco's thumb rubbed against his lower lip. With his thumb, Draco traced Harry's definite jawline and down his neck, tracing the neckline of his shirt.

Harry's breath was ragged and his hands stopped and he covered his mouth, closing his eyes. Draco held his other hand tightly and opened his mouth to whisper to Harry when there was a knock before the door opened.

"Hello, all!" Remus' voice called. Harry sat up quickly, making sure to keep all of his folded papers in his lap. He didn't look at Professor Lupin as he walked in holding a large bag. "Draco, Harry, "

"Hi, Remus!" Draco said with a large smile. Harry merely nodded silently. "What's in the bag?"

"Nothing for you, Dragon, " Remus responded jokingly. He looked around and asked, "Did Sirius not put up the tree yet?"

Draco shrugged. "He hasn't said anything."

Remus rolled his eyes as a shaggy black dog barked loudly, bounding up beside him. Harry froze, his emerald eyes dilated and his breath hitched.

Draco went over to the dog, scratching its head and smiled widely. "Well, hello, Snuffles!"

Remus laughed quietly as the dog barked and tried to lick Draco's face, it's efforts in vain. Harry swallowed audibly as the dog jumped and trotted towards him. Harry stood quickly, all of his folded papers scattering on the floor as he backed up slowly away from the panting dog.

When it barked loudly, Harry tripped and swore loudly as he landed on his behind, the dog jumping on him.

"Fuck!" he shouted. "Get off of me, you mutt!" Harry tried pushing the dog away, but when the dog started nipping at his hands with his canines, Harry froze and Draco pulled the dog off by a red collar. "That thing almost killed me!"

Draco said, "He's just hyperactive. He wouldn't have---"

"I don't like dogs!"

"You're in love with all of the creatures in Care---"

"I still don't like dogs!" Harry countered, his throat hurting from all the shouting. "They're big, they bite, they can kill you, for Merlin's sake!"

Draco asked, "Are you afraid of dogs?"

Harry crossed his arms and scowled. "I'm not scared of anything."

Remus chuckled. "What was your Boggart again?"

Harry paled. "Nothing."

"Mine was a giant slug, " Draco said with a shiver. "Disgusting."

Harry stayed silent. He didn't want Draco to know what his Boggart was. It was most likely going to make Draco angry and would cause an uproar. Professor Lupin hadn't made Harry go up and defeat his Boggart, but he was terrible for having fears in the first place. He shouldn't be scared of anything. He was a Potter, for Merlin's sake! Just like his father always told him.

His father . . .

Harry shook his head and began walking up the stairs, pointing at the dog, saying menacingly, "Don't follow me."

Draco looked over at Remus, who was reaching into the large bag and pulling wrapped boxes out. "He's a bit much."

"Oh, I know, " Remus grinned. "But he's a good kid."

"Oh, I know, " Draco mimicked. He had always seen Remus as sort of an uncle. But now that he and Sirius were together, he assumed that he was going to be his godfather as well. Remus had a son from a previous relationship with a woman Draco never really liked that went by her last name, Tonks, and was a Metamorphmagus. She could change her appearance and so could the child, who was named Edward, or more commonly referred to as Teddy.

She had broken it off with Remus shortly after the child was born, when she found out that Remus was a werewolf. Remus, who was a kind man at thirty-three, with mousy brown hair and hazel eyes that always shone and a tasteless sense of fashion, raised Teddy as an almost-single-parent, with occasional help from Sirius or Draco over the years.

Teddy, who was now five, walked into the den, his hair a vibrant shade of teal and his eyes purple and wide. "Hullo, Dray."

Draco went over to the small boy, picking him up and holding him close. "Hullo, little guy. You doing well? Eating your vegetables?"

Teddy scrunched up his face, saying in his high, not yet fully developed voice, "Gross!"

Remus chuckled, "He hates them. With a passion."

Teddy squirmed, wanting to be put down. Draco obliged, and Teddy went over to Snuffles, who barked and rolled onto the floor, exposing his stomach, which Teddy scratched. His slumped shoulders and his eyes looked sad, almost depressing.

Remus said quietly, "Tonks was supposed to get him, but she never came. He's devastated."

Draco was outraged. "She didn't even tell you that she wasn't coming? She didn't even write to Teddy?"

Remus looked grave as he said, "That doesn't matter. I didn't even tell Sirius that Teddy had to come with me. And now I'm thinking that's it a bit cramped---"

"Of course it isn't, " Sirius said. They didn't notice him enter. "There's plenty of room for Teddy Bear."

Teddy giggled from his spot on the floor. He liked that nickname.

Draco went over to the little boy, asking him quietly, "Wanna go meet my special friend?"

Teddy nodded eagerly and Draco took his hand. Teddy had to hold his hand up for Draco to reach comfortably and Draco looked back, nodding to Remus and Sirius.

Surely, Harry wouldn't hate the small child and, as they walked up the stairs, Teddy asked, "How many is he?"

"Seventeen. Same as me, "

"He tall like you?"

"No, not really. But still taller than you, little guy."

Teddy smiled. "Imma show 'im my trick. And you can see too."

"Sounds like a plan, "

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!