Chapter 29

Chapter 29

They don't hand cuff me, because technically I'm not being charged with anything. They don't have any proof that I did something wrong. Proof would be impossible, because I didn't do it.

Instead they escort me into the back of their squad car and my parents follow us down the street in their own car. The ride is awkward and uncomfortably silent. When we get to the station, I panic because I don't see Mia's car. I just have to trust her.

"Let's go," Officer Daniels says bitterly. Something tells me that these men are not so approving of my sexuality.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes as I exit the car and walk with them into the building. The sky is grim and dark even though its approaching noon. It sends a shiver through me and the single hoodie I have on. M

My parents rustle behind us as they attempt to keep up with the officers' long strides.

The first thing I notice when walking into the station is the desperate need for some modernization. I get it's a small town but the police station is a small building with wood paneling on the walls and the discreet smell of lingering cigar smoke from the seventies.

I shake my head at myself, I'm in a serious situation and I'm judging the place by its décor. That's when the pit in my stomach comes again and I realize just why I had been focusing on such mundane thoughts: my worries over Aaron.

The officers take me into what looks like a conference room. The walls are a pale yellow with the same wood framing the windows and the door. Even the blinds match. It's not exactly homey but in my head, I was picturing one of those white rooms with the big glass that they watch you from the other side. Yep, I'll take this gladly.

"Take a seat," Willmont says to me and my parents. My parents sit on either side of me at the large wooden, oval table as the officers sit across from me. They each have folders and big yellow notepads in front of them.

"Why would you think I did whatever happened?" I question them right away. I don't care about their queue to start.

"We'll show you," Willmont says as he opens the folder in front of him. He turns it upside so it's facing me and begins pulling pictures out of it.

I can't help but gasp at what I see.

The church had been spray painted on the front doors, the windows, the pillars and almost every single piece of red brick. Profanities and degrading remarks had covered the place of worship. Then, on every empty spot was pictures of me. Pictures of me and Aaron. Kissing. On my front porch last night. I almost feel sick.

On the walkway leading up to the church are big letters saying, "I'm a fag and it's time for you Jesus freaks to know. -Bellamy M"

"As the town gathered for church this morning, the people were shocked to see what had happened to our most holy place in town," Daniels explains, taking back the pictures in front of me.

My parents are lost for words beside me and I'm truly lost for words as well. So, that's how the whole town found out about Aaron and I.

"You can't actually believe I would be so stupid." I say as the two men glare at me.

"It's the only lead we have," Willmont explains. I glare back, remembering how Aaron told me that I was no coward.

"Have you read my records, officers?" I ask them with a raised eyebrow. They look at each other momentarily.

"We have it here," Daniels says. "But have not had the time to go through them."

"You clearly don't know what you people are doing!" My mother the lawyer says. "You haven't even done your homework!"