Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Everyone in the crowded treehouse stares at each other with wide eyes and open mouths. My eyes dart around at everyone sharing the same reaction as me.

I finish untying Aaron quickly and the two of us stand up together.

"Which one of you called the police?" Caleb roared at the boys.

"We didn't!" Toby says and Azul nods his head in agreement.

This has me smiling, because I know that the police are really after me. I mean, I'll probably get in trouble but it's not like the had me in custody, they were just questioning me. I have the right to not answer any questions.

"Caleb, I think your little plan backfired." I snort and Aaron eyes me with a confused look. He has no clue that I was at the police station.

"What do you mean?" He asks as the sirens draw closer. We can hear the crunch of the tires rolling over the snow and branches of the forest ground.

"I broke out of the police station to get here. Obviously they're going to come looking for me. Your little treehouse obviously isn't as 'secret' as you believe." I explain with a devious smile and Aaron's eyes light up.

"You broke out of the police station to get to me?" He asks astonished.

I smile as I touch his face sweetly, "Anything for you."

"We have to get out of this damn treehouse," Mia says with a sigh. "It's crammed in here as it is. We have to go down."

We all nod and start towards the door but Caleb rushes to the door before any of us can get there.

I initially thought he was going to block it so we wouldn't be able to go through but instead he runs out the door and scales down the ladder as if he were on fire.

"What the hell?" Azul questions.

"He's running!" I yell.

I chase Caleb down the ladder as everyone follows me. I can see the police walking through the woods between the trees. They're rather close but they're a few yards away.

I watch Caleb run in the opposite direction of them and as soon as I hit the ground, I run after him. Caleb twists and turns through the maze of trees trying to get away from the police. I'm not letting him go down this easy.

Caleb may be a better fighter than me and he may be stronger than me, but I am a faster runner. I've never lost in a race and this is the one thing in the world that I will always beat Caleb in.

"Over here!" I hear Mia yelling to the police to follow Caleb and I.

I watch Caleb in front of me and I bolt after him.

"Get away, Bellamy!" He screams. He knows I'll catch up to him. He knows I'm the faster runner.

"Give up!" I scream back. My feet hit the ground hard and fast. I'm running faster than I ever have. The cold air around me is nothing compared to the heat I feel in my heart right now. I think about Caleb hitting Aaron. I run faster.

I duck under a branch and skip to the side to avoid another tree and before I know it, I'm only a few feet behind Caleb. I reach my arm out but he's still just out of reach.

I can hear the police behind us yelling at Caleb to stop. I'm glad they know who they should be after. They probably realized that I was telling the truth. Unless, the other Dead Boys and Mia explained it to them.

I'm just behind Caleb now. I reach my arm out and grab a hold of his shirt. He yells as I tug his shirt and bring his body to a jolt. With both my arms on his shirt and with all my might, I throw him down onto the snow covered ground and tackle him.