Chapter 30

Chapter 30

We fly to the back of the parking lot and out of sight, quicker than I'd like to admit. I keep looking over my back to see if anyone is following but I don't even think they realized it was me the car that was driving off. I know it's only a matter of time before they're checking their cameras to see exactly which car I had jumped into.

"Did you break out of there?" Mia asks breathlessly.

"Well yeah," I roll my eyes. Despite my sarcasm, I'm actually dying inside.

"How did you manage that? Why would you even do that?" She pops off with questions as we drive down the street.

I explain to her what happened as quick as I could, "Because Aaron,"

"Oh Bell," She frowns shaking her head. I'm surprised to see tears in her eyes.

"What?" I ask as I put my hand on her arm.

"You have such a big heart. I'm so sorry Hayden got involved with this. Maybe if I would've stayed with him he wouldn't have-" She begins but I cut her off.

"You stop it," I tell her sternly. She takes her eyes off the road for a second to look at me. "You should never stay with someone who doesn't make you happy. No matter what."

"Okay, I'm sorry." She mumbles.

"Don't be," I say.

"Do you know where we're going?"

"I have an idea," I say to her as I guide her how to get to the treehouse.

We swerve through roads full of tall trees and it feels like every passing moment my heart is beating faster. One could say that I am in absolute panic over Aaron right now. It's only a fifteen-minute drive but every second feels like a lifetime. Why did this have to happen?

We get to the edge of the forest and I get out of the car immediately. I rush up to the entrance of the woods and Mia follows close behind.

"The woods?" She questions confusingly.

"You'll see. This way," I take her hand and together we walk into the forest. The cold air nips at my cheeks right away and I curse the single hoodie I'm in. The woods have always seemed beautiful to me but right now as I look around, everything seems strikingly eerie.

We walk through the forest until we reach the hidden trail pathway. Every step I take, my stomach feels tighter and I have to bite my lip to stop myself from crying or screaming or basically just acting like a crazy person. I have to keep it together. I have to keep it together for Aaron.

Mia and I stay silent as we walk. I'm not sure she knows what to say. Everything is so messed up right now. I was so happy just a day ago. Things were perfect just a day ago. Now here I am, walking through the cold because some homophobic teenager teamed up with some psychopathic to kidnap my boyfriend. My life is a walking Netflix drama at this point. I'm worse than goddamn Riverdale at this point.

We finally make it to the clearing where the treehouse is. I don't have to tell Mia to look up because she did almost instantly. "Is he in there?" She asks but then her question was answered a moment later when we heard a loud bang and a groan.

Mia and I gasp loudly at the same time and I don't even wait before jumping onto the ladder and pulling myself up it. She follows close behind me. My heart is beating against my ribs like no tomorrow.

I get to the top and burst through the door. Inside are only three people: Caleb, Hayden and Aaron.

"Aaron!" I yell loudly. He's tied up with his arms behind his back and tied around the leg of the table. As soon as he hears my voice, his head snaps up to look at me. His hair cascades around his face and some of his bangs are in his stormy eyes but he sees me, and he smiles painfully.