(7): Game Time

"Let's go Hinata!" You cheer from the crowd. Hinata asked you to watch him play. Sports aren't really your thing but how could you say no when he's jumping up and down with excitement. His brown eyes bright with joy. Naturally, if you had to come to a sports event so did Jewel and Mika.
"My skin looks terrible." Mika groans, holding out a hand held mirror in front of her face.
"You look fine." Jewel groans, her eyes on a book. You were the only one paying attention to the actual game. It was something about how focused all the guys were. They really took this game seriously.
Your eyes are glued to Hinata. Watching every little movement. The shift in his facial expressions. The shift in his focus as he decides to suddenly do something risky. He is amazing. You didn't think someone could be this athletic but then again it makes sense. Hinata puts so much time and effort into the game.
They're in the middle of an intense game against Aobajohsai High. Everyone seems more focused than normal. Everyone seemed to be at the edge of their seats in the stands. From what you read about the rules of the game it's gone way past it's usual time. The score is up in the thirties, the two teams working strenuously to get one more point ahead.
By the end of the game you could feel the emotions radiating off the court.
Karasuno lost.
Your heart broke for the boys. All of them. They had put so much effort in, and it doesn't help that the cocky brown haired boy on Aobajohsai's team seemed to be basking in the glory of defeating Karasuno. Or more like the individuals themselves. He could care less about school victory. This felt more personal.
What a dick, you think as you walk outside the huge building. Mika and Jewel are discussing something a few feet ahead of you.
"(Y/N)? We're gonna go wait for the bus back to town. You coming?"
Mika's voice draws your attention, "No, I'll catch the next one. Be safe!"
"You too! Tell Hinata we said good game~" Jewel teases.
It's been about a week since Hinata showed up at your place with ramen now. Ever since you two have grown closer. Nothing extremely romantic. You would stay after school or meet up at the arcade after practice so he could walk you home. It became a habit for him to hold your hand the whole way.
"Hinata!" You call out for him as the Karasuno boys exit the building. He's looking straight at the ground the whole way over to you. His hair in his face. His eyes filled with regret. His lips formed in a frown. Quickly you wrap your arms around him, pulling his body close to yours. His head rests in the crook of your neck.
Instinctively your fingers start to play with his hair earning a sigh from Hinata. He feels so much better in your arms. After that defeat he doesn't know how to act. They almost made it to the Inter-High final to play against Shiratorizawa.
"Hinata! Let's go, you all need to eat. Come on lovebird!" Coach Ukai yells over. You look over to see Tanaka and Daichi being the last two to load into the bus.
"You have to go now."
He sighs, hugging you a few seconds longer before pulling away and leaves a small kiss on your cheek which makes you blush. That's the first time he's done that.
"Be safe please. I don't trust public transportation."
"Oh please I'll kick ASS." You giggle, punching the air a little to demonstrate. It earns a weak smile from Hinata.
At least that's something.