(8): "Chan~"

Once you text Hinata that you got back into town safely you make your way home. Walking from the bus stop into your neighborhood.
You're worried about Hinata.
He's never looked that discouraged.
His face was so pouty yet so sad. It wasn't his usual pout. It was something completely different.
That setter was a real dick, you think about the game.
Your frown deepens as you get stuck in thought.
Once you make it to your house you go straight to your room. Flop down on the bed. Thinking about Hinata as you drift off to sleep.
The next day you quickly have to get ready, throwing on your uniform and doing your makeup as fast as possible.
You don't want to be late to catching Hinata outside school. You've been letting him think it's coincidence but in reality you've been trying to wake up earlier to have the chance to see him in the mornings.
Slipping your bag over your shoulders and running out the front you go. The school is about a mile away so you pop in an earbud as you walk.
It's kinda cold out but you try to ignore the tips of your fingers deciding to freeze off, hurrying to school.
With a little skip you make it to the front gate, looking around for the red head but he's no where in sight. Maybe he went in because it's so cold out?
As soon as you make it inside you're bombarded with a hug from Nishinoya. Before you can even respond his arms are wrapped around you, his spiky hair poking ur cheek.
"Um..."
"Sorry I just needed a hug from someone that's not Asahi or Tanaka." He sighs. Noya also looks super rough. It must've been a long night for them all.
You pat the top of his head softly.
He pulls away quickly after, smiling a little but he still seems off. "I'll see you in class." His eyes fall on something behind you before he takes off.
You turn to see what he was looking at. Hinata and that girl he was talking to before are standing there, nothing crazy, they're both just staring at you.
"Hinata, I was wondering where you were." You walk over to him with a smile. His eyes are filled with hurt and you realize that's probably because he watched Noya hug you but you can't control Nishinoya. He is one of your friends after all.
"Well I'll see you later Shoyo-chan~" The girl touches his upper arm a little before walking off, giving you a skeptical look.
What the fuck was that??? "Shoyo-chan~" god, no..., you think annoyed.
You reach out for Hinata's hand but he retracts his. A heavy weight falls on your chest. Worry sinking in.
"Hey...Hinata what's going on?"
He just starts to walk away, "I need to use the toilet. See you later, maybe. I have practice."
Worrisome.

•••

You sit outside the volleyball gym after school. Most of the guys were inside already but you silently wait for Hinata to turn up. You wait for what feels like thirty minutes before popping your head inside.
Sure enough his red head was running around the court with Kageyama and the rest of the guys. There must be a back entrance, you sigh. Coach Ukai noticed you out of the corner of his eye, turning to face you.
You quickly pull back from the door and return to your sitting position.
Seconds later he's leering over you, casting a shadow which makes you jump. Shoving your Nintendo Switch to the side.
"You're that girl Hinata freaks out over, correct?"
You can only nod. How are you supposed to address a coach? Is it the same as a teacher? You don't know ANYTHING about sports or this situation. Oh god.
"Okay then get inside. Wait for him on the bench. It's too cold for a girl to be sitting out here." Ukai groans, walking back inside to overlook the guys. He had already given them a pep talk so they were all feeling much more confident.
You creep inside, switch in hand, making your way to the bench and sit next down quickly. You shove your head in your game, feeling eyes on you, which you try to ignore. You feel so out of place. It's very awkward being in an alien environment like this. But you need to stick it out so you and Hinata can talk.
"(Y/N)?!" Nishinoya yells, racing over to you.
You snap your head up.
"What are you doing here?" Everyone seems to be waiting for your answer. Even if they keep occupied with practice you can tell their attention is on you.
You blush slightly, looking down, "Waiting for Hinata to get out."
Noya smiles to himself, "Okay well do you want to practice with us?"
"Oh I can't sport." You shake your head rapidly.
Hinata has completely stopped his spikes to stare at Nishinoya and you. You looked so cute. He couldn't help but smile to himself a little but then he remembers how easily you embraced Noya this morning. It shouldn't be a huge deal, he realizes this, but he can't help but feel upset by it. You once wished to date Nishinoya, how can he know those feelings won't return?
"Hey moron! Stop googooeyeing your girlfriend and pay attention!" Kageyama screams. Hinata could feel the fumes radiating from Kageyama's body.
"She's not my-.."
"SHUT UP." Kageyama groans. Setting to him.
After a few hours everyone helps clean up the gym. You wait patiently for Hinata, playing your game. You realize you could've spent this time studying but that's too much work. Especially since all day you've been overthinking the way that girl in Hinata's class addressed him. Why is she so comfortable? So touchy? So bold? He's yours. Why didn't he pull away or ask her not to address him that way. Why did she send you that look?
"(Y/N)? Hi." Hinata smiles brightly at you, pushing down his jealousy so the two of you can talk more later.
"Hi." You slip your switch into your bag before getting up to hug him. He welcomes your embrace. You try to ignore how bad he stinks.
Nuzzling you're head into his chest, you sigh. This is your safe place. You feel at home. Hinata gently pets your head. His chin rested on the top of it.
"I've missed you. You haven't spoken to me all day and you were so upset this morning."
He sighs slightly, "I know we'll talk about it when I walk you home okay?" With that he gently leaves a kiss on your forehead.
You blush brightly.
That's the first.