↘︎ chapter one

1 | Platform 9¾

When Marley Macmillan woke up on 1st September 1990, her first thought was that it was Sunday and she had more time to sleep, but it was a big lie. A moment after, she realized something that blew her mind and she quickly jumped from her bed. Today was the first day - the day she would to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The girl was excited - she had been dreaming of this moment since she was eight.

"Marls, honey, the breakfast is ready." Marley heard the voice of her mother, Brielle Macmillan, calling her downstairs. The eleven-year-old girl just got dressed with some comfortable clothes, went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and hair and then went down the modest staircase of the house she was living in. The girl had spent her whole life in Aberaeron, Wales - a seaside little town, living only with her mother. Marley didn't know much about her father but she knew that he also studied at Hogwarts, in her mother's year. He was killed in the First Wizarding War from the Dark Lord.

When Marley went in the kitchen she saw that not only her mother was there, but her godmother, Noelle Black and her son Noen Black. Noen was only a couple of months younger than Marley, but due to the fact he was in the end of '79, he was going to attend Hogwarts one year later than her. Noelle Black was married to Sirius Black, one of her mother's best friends during her education at the wizarding school.

Marley greeted her mother and Noelle, then sat next to Noen. They boy had thick black hair, grey eyes and pale skin. When Noelle was pregnant, her husband decided to name after their children with a variety of her name in a honour of their love. Marley hadn't seen Sirius but she knew that Noen looked so much alike him.

"You ready, honey?" asked Brielle Macmillan, giving her a jug of milk and the girl took it. Her mother had beautiful brown waves, falling freely on her shoulders and sparkling green eyes, while Marley had the hazel eyes of her father. Brielle didn't like to talk much about her father. It seemed either the story was so complicated or it was really hard for Brielle to talk. Or maybe both.

Marley nodded, happy that she was going to Hogwarts and took a glimpse of Noen, who huffed. "It's not fair. I want to go to Hogwarts too. Mom, why did you give brith to me so late?"

"It's not my fault, sweetheart." Noelle Black replied with a soft smile. She grabbed her porcelain glass of coffee and took a sip of it. Marley knew how much Noen wanted to go there - they were best friends since they were three, when Noelle Black and her son moved to Aberaeron. They weren't living together, because it wasn't really safe for so much witches and a wizard to live together, but Noen's house was close to Marley's. "Don't be sad. You'll see Marley next year at Hogwarts."

Marley smirked at the boy, but he just looked at her with his grey stormy eyes indifferently. He was really mad and couldn't help his anger. Marley couldn't imagine how he felt - he was seeing his best friend going to study at Hogwarts, while he will wait a year more, because he was born only a couple of months after her. It was unfair, yeah.

There was toast and cheese on the table, jugs of milk, coffee and juice. Marley smelt ham and pancakes. Her mother had done her best with the breakfast. Not every day her daughter would go to Hogwarts for the first time.

"Okay, whatever. Let's talk about something else." Noelle clapped with her hands, trying to make the children feel better. Noen and Marley just shared a sad look, knowing they were sharing some common pasts. Her father had died nine years ago, while Sirius Black was in Azkaban, their mothers both ran after they graduated Hogwarts, living safe and enough far from the dangers. Until the moment they had to go to Hogwarts.

Marley opened her mouth with desire to ask something about her father, but she knew her mother will give her the same answers. Your father's name was James. We were in one house and we played Quidditch together. He was a good man. James died too young, killed by the Dark Lord. But Marley also thought the situation won't get any better, so she decided to keep silent. Marley was never interested in learning about her father more than her mother was telling her. And there was one reason about it - she didn't have any evidence and stuff to look for and investigate. But James someone was studying at Hogwarts. There must be some proves about him.