↘︎ chapter forty-three

43 | Now strangers

Time passed as June approached, Marley Macmllian's OWL exams were coming. However, this was not her biggest concern now, though she was breaking away from studying and negotiating and barely talking to other living beings outside of her classes. And having this serious altercation with Fred and George Weasley almost two weeks ago did not help her much.

Although the three stubbornly refused to talk and even look at each other, they had to stay together while eating in the Great Hall just because of Angelina Johnson and Lee Jordan. Yet none of them missed the opportunity to argue for the smallest thing.

The same thing happened during a breakfast in mid-June. Since the last Task of the Tournament was on June 24, the OWL exams were moved a little earlier. That was good,but also it wasn't. It was good because Marley would get rid of them faster, but that meant she had less time to negotiate. Today was Wednesday and her third OWL exam was taking place - Transfiguration and Herbology just passed, and today it was Potions.

The exams had to end a few days before the last Task, so that they couldn't worry about exams during the Last Task. And now Marley was just trying to calm down and think of nothing so she could take her exam and nothing to go wrong.

"Fred told me to tell you to hand him the jar with jam because you're closest to it." said Angelina, taking Marley out from her daydreaming. As soon as she returned to the real world, she looked at Fred and George for a moment, who were frowning at her and looked extremely sour. Since the three had quarreled, the situation had strained to the end. Angelina and Lee could barely stand it and were often annoyed with their childish behaviour.

"Interesting that he counts on me giving it to him? How can he be sure I won't spill it on his red hollow head? It's all a matter of trust." Marley grunted and handed Fred the jar without even looking at him. He didn't say a word to her. "And he doesn't trust me enough. Say that to him, Lina."

Angelina rolled her eyes annoyed and just looked at Fred, whose face was redder than his hair. "Lina, why don't you tell Marley to stop acting like a baby for a while and think about things realistically. It would be best to look at her problems and not interfere in others's." he said. Marley's ears were burning with anger, and though it hurt her to fight and have to act like ass, she wouldn't be given up so easily.

"Then tell the narcissist Fred to reflect on his behaviour and to stop thinking that everyone is below his level and just because they are a little more responsible, doesn't mean they don't know how to have fun at all." she snapped angrily, rolling her eyes.

Lina was staring desperately to death at the twins, then at Marley, and sighed in exasperation. "Enough, I'm not your owl for your feuds. If you have something to say to them, you better say it face in face rather than look at me and expect me to repeat it like a parrot."

"And I still don't understand why is all that bustle." mumbled confused Lee Jordan, his mouth full with food. "Why are you even fighting? I thought everything was doing perfect. You know, the relationship and--"

"George, better go and fuck himself!" exclaimed Marley. "When he and his brother start trusting me and stop hiding from me, then we'll talk."

"We can say the same about your mother, Marley." added George, looking at his girlfriend neutrally like they were strangers. The two hadn't officially broken up and would hardly broke up, but they were just in a very cruel quarrel and to Fred and George's great surprise, Marley was quite resilient in such situations. "You were hiding that Brielle is alive from us, and I'm sure Lina and Lee still doesn't know when we came in Wales two years ago."