↘︎ chapter sixty-nine

69 | Happy Christmas Eve!

Time was passing and before Marley Macmillan could realise what was happening, the Christmas break came. Marley's last Christmas break. She had arrived in the Burrow on December 21 with Harry and Ron. Ron's mother, Mrs. Weasley, had met them with tears in her eyes. The funny thing was that she made Harry and Ron mostly help her with housework, and when Marley offered her help, Mrs. Weasley always refused. Maybe because she could use magic to do it, while they couldn't.

Today was Christmas Eve, and as Marley couldn't believe at all, she and George had a second anniversary since they first kissed at the Yule Ball. Outside, the snow had accumulated over Mrs. Weasley's garden and it was cold, but Marley was dressed in a soft white sweater and black leggings.

"Marley, you amaze me every time." said Fred, while she, he and George were walking downstairs to the kitchen in the afternoon. "What the fuck is that? How is it possible? Two years? TWO FUCKING YEARS?!"

"Language, Fred!" shouted Mrs. Weasley and popped up from Ginny's room where Marley was staying with her. Maybe she's cleaning Ginny's room, supposed Marley. "I know you still can't believe they have been together for so long. But it's so adorable! And when will you show to the family your girlfriend, Fred?"

"In my afterlife." he replied, a slight grin was touching his mouth. "Or maybe on my wedding. Now, bye. C'mon you little, troll--"

"FRED!" yelled Mrs. Weasley, but Fred was laughing so hard. Marley knew she was short and didn't mind Fred calling her troll. The three of them almost ran down the stairs and when they were coming to the kitchen, Marley heard Ron speaking:

"--ever seen Dad as angry as Mum, Fred reckons his left buttock has never been the same since."

"Yeah, well, passing over Fred's left buttock--" said awkwardly Harry.

"I beg your pardon?" said Fred's voice as the twins and Marley entered the kitchen. Ron and Harry froze on their places, in front of a mountain of sprouts.

"Aaah, George, look at this. They're using knives and everything. Bless them." Marley decided to joke and Harry just looked at his sister badly. "Oh, Harry, don't be so negative! I'm just kidding."

"Yes, stop fucking telling us that you can use magic, take out the wand, and then just ten seconds to fix the sprout." snapped Ron grumpily, rolling his eyes, but that still sound very encouraging to Marley and her smirk. "I'll be seventeen in two and a bit months' time and then I'll be able to do it by magic!"

"But meanwhile," said George, sitting down at the kitchen table and putting his feet up on it, "we can enjoy watching you demonstrate the correct use of a -- whoops-a-daisy!"

"You made me do that!" said Ron angrily, sucking his cut thumb. "You wait, when I'm seventeen--"

"I'm sure you'll dazzle us all with hitherto unsuspected magical skills," yawned Fred.

"And speaking of hitherto unsuspected skills, Ronald," said George, "what is this we hear from Ginny about you and a young lady called--unless our information is faulty--Lavender Brown?"

Ron turned a little pink, but did not look displeased as he turned back to the sprouts. "Mind your own business."

"Then I hope Marley won't mind if I tell her what you asked me yesterday. You weren't minding your business then." grinned George, raising his red eyebrows but Ron's jaw dropped and his eyes widened.

Marley's smile didn't fade, she just looked at George with his feet on the table and Fred, sitting on the chair next to his twin, grinning. "What did he ask you?"