↘︎ chapter thirty-eight

38 | The Hungarian Horntail and George Weasley's dancing

Today was November 24 and the day of the First Task. Participants in the Triwizard Tournament have long been selected - Fleur Delacour from Beauxbatons, Victor Krum from Durmstrang, Cedric Diggory from Hufflepuff ... and Harry Potter. Yes, it was very unexpected when the Goblet of Fire pulled Harry's name. Many of the students were angry with him, even at one time and Marley Macmillan, his older half-sister. But today they talked and she wished him good luck of the Task. She had no idea what the Task was, but she was already with her friends in the big arena, where it will take place.

She still studied very regularly and didn't even have time to draw, which saddened her endlessly because she loved this activity. Even now she was carrying several books and negotiating and studying until it was time for the event to begin. Meanwhile, her feelings for her best friend, George Weasley, suddenly escalated, and Marley began to distract more and more. While writing regular homework at the library and suddenly remembered how George didn't like this place and wasn't coming here. While preparing for her OWLs, and once remembered how George liked to make her laugh, to make her feel better, because she often seemed stressed lately.

Marley tried again to concentrate on her notes, then saw her other best friend, Noen Black. He was with Blace Zabini, Draco Mlafoy, Pancy Parkinson and Brooklyn Ray. The girl never forgot their conversation twenty-four days ago when he said he liked boys. However, Marley couldn't figure out which one of all the boys at school had caught his eye, because it was at this point that Fred and George appeared out of nowhere and interrupted their talk.

"Marley, I think the twins are right." suddenly said Angelina Johnson, her best friend. The younger girl had been distracted by her thoughts and totally forgot about her studies and her friends, neither she was sitting in a noisy place with a lot of people surrounding her. "You should stop studying that much. You have dark circles on your eyes and you look tired."

George just grabbed all the stuff from Marley's lap and hands and raised it in the air high enough, so Marley couldn't reach it. Damn it, she was too short! "You'll have it after the Task, alright? You need a rest."

"Give me my textbooks back, George." Marley huffed and jumped but she was too short. The red-haired boys was just laughing.

"I said no." he replied. "After the first Task. But if you give me a kiss, I can give it to you right now."

"I'd better wait." smirked Marley toward him. She knew he was just joking, so she also joined in their friendly jokes, but secretly pushed her pain deep in her. Because she knew George wouldn't like her. Meanwhile, the tall Weasley twin's heart was beating fast in his chest and he tried to cover his feelings with friendly flirting and random jokes.

And here is where it finally began. Stormy shouts and applause echoed in the large arena. Ludo Bagman hastily told how everything would work out, and after playing with his whistle, the first Champion came out, Cedric Diggory. A dragon was standing in front of him and everyone was holding their breath. About twenty minutes passed and he managed to get a Golden Egg. He received good points from the judges - Madame Maxim, headmaster of Beauxbatons, Karkarov of Durmstrang, Dumbledore of Hogwarts and ... there was Ludo Bagman himself.

After Cedric was Fleur, the girl with the roots of a veela. She also did well and received good points. Then there was Victor Krum, who also did brilliantly. Finally it was Harry Potter. When Marley's brother came out, the Slytherins began to whistle and mock, but the boy ignored them. Instead, he focused, yelled Accio, and after a moment  his broom Firebolt was in his hand. Haha, summoning charm! Marley was sure Hermione had taught him that.