↘︎ chapter thirty

30 | George's feelings

"I think it was good." said George Weasley. He had just completed one quidditch game with his brother Fred, his other brother Ron and Marley Macmillan. The girl had been best friends with the twins since her first year, and George had from time to time felt that strange feeling in his stomach as the two of them talked. And because of this feeling, he constantly scolded himself, angry with himself and his feelings.

But lately, he hasn't been doing very well. Especially since Marley came to the Burrow a few days ago and would stay here until the end of the summer. The main reason that she came was because of the Quidditch World Cup, but there was something else.

It wasn't just because George's father had bought tickets for everyone, even Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, but they would come soon at the Burrow. George would like to believe it was only because of this, but after Marley went through a huge scandal with her mother Brielle Macmillan, she didn't want to stay at her home in Wales anymore and sent a letter through Elara, her family snowy owl, asking politely if she could come earlier than expected. Molly Weasley, his mother, immediately agreed, and she didn't mind if the girl would come two weeks early.

Just about a month and a half ago, the whole truth was revealed about Marley's father, who turned out to be James Potter, and she and Harry were half-siblings. As Marley had promised on that night in June, when everyone was in Gryffindor's common room, she told them absolutely everything, especially after the articles in Daily Prophet about her and her mother came out.

"Yes, it was nice to kick your ass, Weasel." chuckled Marley and left carefully her broom on the green grass. Then she simply sat down, the three ginger boys followed her example. George and his twin Fred were soon passing their OWL exams, but they were still short on points. But they weren't interested in the exams but in making different pranks and jokes. There were so many lists of different prices and fun jokes, but as soon as their mother found it what had happened on the exams, the parchment rolls burned in front of Fred an George's eyes and they were mad at her for a week or two.

George's stomach made a somersault, but he just grinned. His smiles lately have often been able to conceal his flushing face, turning redder than his hair, which turned even redder because of the bright summer sun. He was well aware, however, that for a long time, somehow, he couldn't just feel friendly and even fraternal feelings for Marley. And he was aware of that fact. But he didn't realise it until the night Marley returned to the common room with a dirty face and blood on her palms, traces of clogged nails. And her wet tear face had saddened him even more.

"Admit it, George." said proudly Ron. "Marley and I are amazing team."

"For a boy who doesn't play Quidditch," Marley looked at Ron, who was sitting next to her, smirking. "You're playing very well. But work on your technique. Didn't you say that you want to try for the team?"

"Yes, but not now." he denied immediately. "I still don't think I'm good enough but you obviously play amazing, Marley. I think you're the best Chaser in our team."

"She really is." admitted Fred and George only nodded with his head. He was perfectly aware that Ron was his brother, but what if he just stabbed his bat in his face? And she was lying on the grass beside him, tempting to his eyes. His hands were itching to grab her, and a scratch on Ron's head. Still, he couldn't admit he was lying. Marley was really the best Chaser on the team, and maybe they didn't have such a good Chaser in Gryffindor after James Potter, her father.

Marley's cheeks were slightly red and George thought she was more beautiful as she blushed. He didn't know why, but after noticing in Marley's fourth year that when Fred and he said something nice about her, she blushed a lot. George liked this, so he made sure to see that pleasant blush on her cheeks by the end of the year. Fred and George were usually teasing her about her blushing cheeks, but the younger twin was also doing it to cover the real reason why he was doing it.