↘︎ chapter sixteen

16 | Harry and Ron missed the train

As soon as Marley Macmillan saw Draco Malfoy, the boy who was sorted last year in Slytherin and Harry Potter's sworn enemy, she closed sharply her book, suddenly overwhelmed by anger. She didn't want to see him, because she had realized last year that if Draco was hanging around Harry, things were going awry.

"Oh, who's here?" he asked mockingly and Marley was trying to not jump and beat him or just hex him without dealing with him that much. That would be nice. "Potter and his stupid friend Weasley. He had just come in the bookshop and already a sensation."

"Just shut the fuck up your mouth, Malfoy." Marley didn't realize when she spoke, angrier than ever. For a while now, she was feeling really protective about Harry Potter. She didn't know if he knew, but she was feeling something like an invisible bond between them. The girl's face was red with anger and when Draco opened his mouth to say something, someone touched his shoulder, pulling him aside. It was his father - the biggest shit Lucius Malfoy. He had white blond hair almost to the middle of his back. He was a pure-blood wizard and his ego was reaching the sky.

"Calm down, Draco." Lucius said with oily voice. "Mr. Potter and oh, Miss Macmillan, I guess? Nice to see you two."

"I can't say the same about myself." retorted Marley with indifferent voice. She just turned her chin upright, looking at Lucius Malfoy with a look that, if it really reflected her emotions, would have turned Draco's father to ashes by now. One of the twins nudged Marley slightly into the ribs, and Lucius only smiled wryly and mockingly.

"What I see here." he grabbed a old book with taut leather binding that Ginny Weasley was holding in her cauldron. "Old books, red hair, textbooks second hand. You're probably the Weasleys."

In that time Arthur Weasley arrived and tried not to pay attention on Lucius. Instead of that he asked the children why don't they go outside, but it seemed Lucius was here for bickering becuase he called out Mr. Weasley with his oily voice.

"I heard about what is happening in the Ministry." said Lucius. "I hope they pay you for working extra, but if I have to judge by that," and he raised the old book taken from Ginny. The Malfoy let out a laugh and Marley clenched her hands in fists. "I guess not. You're communicating with Muggles, Arthur. I thought your family can't fall even lower..."

Arthur Weasley looked visibly calm but in the next moment he punched Lucius Malfoy in the face and the two men began fighting. Fred and George were shouting: 'Go, Dad! Beat him!', Hermione was aside with Ginny and they were wordless, while looking at the fight. Marley had pulled Harry and Ron. A couple of seconds later, the other people at the bookshop noticed the fight and Gilderoy Lockhart was the one to stop it. Mrs. Weasley came furious and she told Arthur to go out, then all of her children, including Marley and Harry followed the red-haired woman outside.

"I promise, next time I'll hex him." mumbled Marley as they were making their way back to the Leaky Cauldron.

***

The summer passed quickly and by the end of August Marley had a great time at the Burrow. Harry stayed until the end of his vacation at the Burrow and the fun grew bigger and bigger - in the evening she talked to Ginny until late, had breakfast, walked with Harry to the lake, planned pranks with Fred and George secretly at their room and trained with the twins and Harry Quidditch after telling them she was determined to join the team this year. She was getting better on the broom and she believed she would succeed. Her technique was good, and George assured her that she could join the Gryffindor team as a Chaser. It only lifted her spirit even more.