↘︎ chapter three

3 | The Sorting Hat

*a/n: the names are not in alphabetical order. I was just lazy, so sorry.*

Marley Macmillan never imagined herself walking in the corridors of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. But now it was happening. She was walking with the other first-year students. At the entrance a woman with black clothes and black sharp hat was waiting for them. Hagrid called her Professor McGonagall. The woman was head of the Gryffindor house and he left the children to her. He left the castle, going from the path they had just walked, but maybe he would wait them in the hall where the ceremony will be - the Great Hall.

They were approaching and Marley could feel it - she was hearing exclamations, cheers, laughters and when Professor McGonagall turned left down one of the corridors, they were in front of double doors which opened and Marley and the other students entered a lightened hall - there were four tables as long as the room itself, with thousands of students sitting everywhere. Marley knew that at each table were the members of each of the houses. The room was lit by lanterns and torches, there were large windows, some even with stained glass. At the bottom of the room was a small stage, where was the High Table, where Hogwarts teachers stood. Headmaster Albus Dumbledore stood at the forefront seat and about a meter in front of the High Table was a small chair and a hat with a sharp tip on it. Marley's mother had talked so many times about the Sorting Ceremony, where the Sorting Hat determines which house you belong to in terms of your qualities.

Marley noticed Fred and George Weasley, sitting at one of the tables, really close to the stage with the Sorting Hat. They also saw her and smiled at her encouragingly. They were sitting with a few twelve-year-olds around them. Professor McGonagall climbed on the stage and took the Sorting Hat, then explained to the students what will happen when she'll put the hat on their heads and some major stuff about the school. Dumbledore stood up and said a speech, nothing that would be Marley interested in at this time.

Professor McGonagall took a big piece of parchment, then started reading the names of the people. A few children went and sat, the Hat sorted them. Sometimes she was saying the house they belong in one second after the child had sat on the chair, but other time there was time of considering. One of the children who was called, Finn Hudson, was sorted in Hufflepuff. Santana Lopez, a girl with dark hair was sorted in Slytherin and a girl Quinn Fabray was in Ravenclaw.

"Macmillan, Marley," Professor McGonagall said and the name echoed in the Great Hall. Marley's nerves were stretched to the limit as she made her way through the children to Professor McGonagall, standing next to the chair. She noticed the gaze of some of the teachers, and as soon as Dumbledore saw her eyes, he realized something and almost dropped his gоblet with wine while Marley was sitting on the chair.

"Oh, let me see where you belong." said the Hat and Marley startled, but didn't show her reaction to anybody, saving the crazy heartbeat of her heart for herself. "You're so loyal and hardworking. You'd fit well in Hufflepuff. But you're very brave as well. You're a hard choice."

"What is that supposed to mean?" asked Marley, trying to hide her trembling voice. The Hall was silent as grave, waiting for the Hat's decision where to put the girl. "How can I be a hard choice?"

"Hmm, where to put you, miss Macmillan?" asked again the Hat, but it was more to itself. "I see plenty of courage and a great mind, so much loyalty. I don't like your impatience. I know exactly where to put you. Gryffindor!"

A lot of cheers exploded from the Gryffindor table, the other houses were just applausing but Gryffindors were so happy and patting the girl on the back, greeting her. She saw the Weasley brothers and they made a gesture, urging her to sit with them. She sat down next to one of the gingers, but didn't know who was it.