Now you are Fire

Ink woke with a start, alarmed at how warm he felt despite the biting air. His breath steamed-wait no, it smoked in the cold. Ink coughed, and a tiny jet of fire shot out. He blinked in shock. Curious, he did it again. More flames erupted from his mouth, melting the surrounding snow a while leaving Ink unharmed.

He grinned at the silly thing. I can breathe fire now? He asked himself. A BA-DUM, BA-DUM, BA-DUM was echoing in his skull, pulsing in his bones as well. He placed a hand on his ribs, sensing small waves of magic ebb and flow out from underneath between his fingers. Ink leaned back, trying to process what just happened and what that beating was.

<My name is Alyss, by the way.> The lady's voice bounced in his skull. Ink flinched in surprise from the suddenness of it.

"Where?!" He asked, looking around. Even behind him. <I'm not there.> She said, amusement in her voice. He even stared up at the distant ceiling. <Colder.>

Worried now, Ink stood up to search for the entity. <Wow, even colder.> She said drily. "Where the heck are ya, then?!" He shouted at thin air.

The drum inside him continued it's rythm. Alyss sighed, the sound hollow in his mind. <Ink, listen. I lost my physical form, as you could see previously. I was so desperate to find something that could hold me... I made a mistake, and tore myself​ apart. I lost my ability to reform a body. I needed to find a substitute, and no Flowey is nearly strong enough. You, however..>

Alyss fell silent as Ink tried to make sense of what she was saying. The beat emanating from under his ribs.. he could feel something there, connected to the rest of him. A huge store of magic and energy that flowed throughout his being, every bone humming in tune with it..

It suddenly clicked. Ink realized..

He frantically clawed at his shirt, reaching under his ribcage and grabbing- "AH!"

He felt his fingers close around the object, hard and cold, and most importantly, painful. He convulsed for a second, writhing from the unexpected agony.

<Maybe don't squeeze so hard next time?> Alyss asked tensely.

The thudding sped up, pounding harder as well. Ink felt.. afraid. He picked up the smooth object more gently this time, careful as to not hold it so tightly. Ink could feel it expand and contract in tune with the hammering inside him.

He pulled it out with trepidation. No pain this time, but when Ink's gaze settled upon it.. he gaped in amazement.

He was holding a human-shaped Soul made of fire, coloring the air with its yellow orange light.