Finding the Lone Dream

Ink finished his story. A few minutes passed before his mind drifted back to the triangle.

"Now I'll see about helping you, Bill."
[I don't need your help.]

Ink tried to fire back and point out how badly Bill needed help, but thought better of it.

"Okay. Fine. I leave you alone."
A stutter from the dream demon.
"But just so you know, I'm not giving up on you."
He stood up, wincing as he was achy.
"And don't forget to be determined; because someone, no, several people care a lot about you."

Bill stammered, but then shut up.
He clearly didn't understand why Ink was doing this. But he seemed unwilling to...
look a gift horse in the mouth.

Ink shook his skull, patting the statue on the edge. Much to Bill's idignance.

"I'll be back soon. Still gotta check on Dream. And Blue."

[....]
[Alright, Protector of AU'S.]
Bill shut down after that, not wanting to talk anymore.
Sinead cut the mental connection she had created between them, and Ink left.

Ink smiled a little, feeling accomplished despite his sadness of Bill's fate.

Fate.

Why did that word..

Why did that word sound so...
                       ... familiar?

Sinead fell eerily silent as Ink tried to remember. Nothing came to him.
Do you know anything?

She hesitated. He felt her almost tell him no. Almost lie.
<Yes. I do know. But that's not something to talk about right now.>

And what is?
<Dream, of course.>

Right! Dream! Shoot.
Ink considered where his friend could be right now.

<He's not at the campfire, that's for sure.> Sinead told him uselessly as he teleported near it.

He rolled his eyelights and thought about his next option.

<Check his​ castle. No.. the Joku tree.>
Joku tree? I never heard that one before. <Just go check it!>

Ink complied, using the fire Magic he was growing accustomed to. He really liked being able to teleport with only a thought. He didn't need Broomie.
Although he still loved that paintbrush. Nothing could make him stop loving that paintbrush.

Ink hesitated when he saw Dream.

The God of Positivity was leaning on the tree, looking positively defeated.
Depressed, almost. Dream wasn't glowing, either.

But Ink was. His Soul lit him up from within like a brilliant candle flame, flickering from behind his shirt and ribs. Faint, but a light either way.
Sinead was glowing for the gold skeleton. As if to remind him who he was. Guardian of Positive emotions.

Ink snuck up behind Dream, hoping to talk to him.
Annnnd he stepped on a branch.

He mentally cursed himself as Dream tensed, but didn't turn around.
<Geez, Ink. You call that cussing?>

He flushed for a moment as he remembered she heard his thoughts.
I don't really use filthy language.
<Eh, you have a point. Some people find it crass. I just say what I mean. Now help the poor fucker before I feel sad and awkward!>
.... Might be too late for that..
<Damnit.>

Ink sat down on Dream's left side.
"How are you feeling?" He asked quietly.

"I.. wanted to think."

Ink fiddled with his scarf absentmindedly.
"It is kind of a lot to take in."
"No.. I guess a part of me knew, I just..
I don't know." Dream screwed up his face, as if trying not to cry. Ink wasn't sure what to do.
"It's just.. it was my fault. I never listened. I should have.. I should.."
Dream was holding back sobs.

Ink reached over and hugged Dream, wanting to squeeze the pain out of his friend's Soul. Or something. Just help him feel better. Like himself.

Dream leaned into the embrace, breaking down. "I let him down. I let everyone down. I should have thought about what I was doing- I should have paid attention to Night..."

The gold skeleton shook in Ink's arms, sobbing and vunerable. "It's okay. It's okay. I did the same thing. Neither of us listened. I should have stopped and listened."

Dream wept into Ink's shirt for some time, letting out his regret. The yellow tears glowed faintly in the dark night.

After a while, the orange flame flickering in Ink's ribcage shone brighter, illuminating the area around the pair like candlelight.

The gold skeleton hesitated, then a yellow-gold light emitted from him, too. Ink sighed, glad Dream was finally doing that. It made him.. both of them feel better.

Ink patted his friend's spine kindly, and stared at the sky for what really felt like the first time. He never appreciated it like he did now. It was beautiful, Ink understood.

He smiled as Dream's breathing slowed down, falling asleep. A living lantern of concentrated joy.
<Let's take him home.>
Yeah, before I fall asleep too.

Ink gently picked​ Dream up bridal style and teleported to the castle. He laid the peaceful skeleton across his bed, then turned to leave.

Sinead stopped him. <You can't leave without tucking him in! At least a little!>
Pfft, what???
<Ugh, let me take care of it!>
..Sure, knock yourself out.

She took control and immediately moved the blankets over Dream, wrapping him up with a loving smile.

<Been dying to do that. He's such a cinnamon roll.> You mean he's cute?
<Very. He's quite innocent, too. A bit niave too, but that's just because he was kind of pampered in some ways.>

She let Ink go, and he shook his skull with a bit of a smirk. You're weird.
Sinead scoffed in his mind, and Ink teleported to his own room of the castle. The light was off, but he was still a frickin lantern. Paint splattered walls and random pieces of art were everywhere.

<You know I'd tell you to clean this, but I'm worse with actual trash. So that would make me a hipocrite. And..
all of this is damn good!>
Uhh.... Thanks.

Ink threw himself over his multicolored sheets and passed out quickly, still lit up like a small fire.