𝘏𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘐𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘦

I strolled into the kitchen just in time to catch the tail end of Fiona's conversation, hopping onto the counter to insert myself into the discussion out of sheer boredom

I strolled into the kitchen just in time to catch the tail end of Fiona's conversation, hopping onto the counter to insert myself into the discussion out of sheer boredom. "Christ, V, I can't let him back into this madness," Fiona exclaimed, clearly exasperated.

"Talking about Jimmy-Steve?" I chimed in, a hint of smugness tugging at my lips.

Fiona gave a firm nod, "Yeah, he's got this grand idea that he's ready for it all, but just wait a year or two. The chaos of Gallagher life will hit him like a freight train."

V, on the other hand, seemed more optimistic. "He's a grown man. Let him make his own choices."

I agreed, offering my own perspective. "I mean, if he's willing to take on the Gallaghers, might as well give him a taste of what he's signing up for." 

A soft chuckle escaped Fiona's lips, and just then, Carl made his way downstairs. Fiona turned her attention to him. "Sleep okay?" She asked, concern etching her features. 

Carl's response was as expected. "What do you think?" He retorted with a shake of his head.

"Yeah, you and me both," I muttered under my breath, sharing a knowing look with him. As Fiona started preparing a plate for Carl, I grabbed a plate for myself and settled at the dining table to start eating.

But of course, the moment was short-lived. Frank sauntered into the kitchen with his usual flair. "Disability check doesn't come in for another week, Frank" Fiona shot back, already aware of his intentions.

Ignoring most of the ensuing conversation, I let my attention drift to my phone. The absence of messages from Lip was starting to gnaw at me. I hadn't heard from him since the Alibi, and despite our complicated interactions, a small part of me hoped he'd reach out just to assure me he was alright.

»»-------------¤-------------««

Later that same day, I found myself once again posted up in the kitchen, this time huddled over my homework with Ian.  Our little study session was soon disrupted as Steve and Fiona entered the room, deep in conversation. I glanced up from my paper, intrigued by their discussion.

"We're on for tonight," Steve announced confidently to Fiona, capturing my attention. 

"Tonight? What's going on?" Fiona's brow furrowed in confusion.

"Dinner with my family," Steve clarified, leaving my curious and slightly amused. 

My curiosity got the best of me. "Are they coming over here?" I inquired, genuinely intrigued by the idea of Steve's family making an appearance.

Steve's response was filled with humor. "Nah, my dad hasn't ventured south of the Art Institute since Billy Joel graced Comiskey Park in '84."

I chuckled at his explanation, glancing over at Fiona. "And what's the deal with their house?"