↘︎ chapter nine

9 | Black joins the party

"C'mon Noen, we're gonna be late!" screamed Marley Macmillan to her best friend. Noen Black was still in the bathroom, doing God knows what. Today was 1st September 1991 and Marley would start her second year at Hogwarts. In the summer Noen received the letter from Dumbledore that he was accepted to study there. Noen and his mother, Noelle Black were now living with the Macmillan family because there was a fire in the little town of Wales. It reached their house and Marley's godmother decided it will be good to move to live with her childhood best friend. And already, over 90% of the time, they were both at her house, so it was no novelty.

Marley was excited to be back in Hogwarts for her new year. She had heard that the famous Harry Potter had also been accepted and would start study there. But Marley was more worried about seeing her best friends again after not seeing them for two months. Two months without the gossips with Angelina, without the pranks and jokes of red-haired twins Fred and George Weasley, and the stupid Quidditch comments by Lee Jordan.

"I'm coming, you dummy!" shouted Noen from the inside of the bathroom, but Marley just snorted and went down the corridor. She was close to her mother's bedroom. Suddenly Marley thought she hadn't been to Brielle Macmillan's personal bedroom since she was nine. She just didn't have business there, but her curiosity again took peak over her. She knew her mother was downstairs preparing breakfast with Noelle, and she had nothing to do until Noen leaves the bathroom.

Marley timidly opened the door to her mother's room - nothing different than what she remembered. Massive bed with blue blankets and pillows, shelves with parchment and family photos, photos with her friends, a cherry wood wardrobe and a large window through which the warm rays of the last summer days enter. The girl approached the family photos. Brielle had one picture with her daughter, Noelle and Noen. The four stood on the seafront, right by the beach and smiled as the sea breeze brushed their hair and glaruses were flying in the sky.

The next photo was of Brielle and her family - her grandmother Cornelia and her grandfather, Ernesto Macmillan. The picture was of her mother's older dead sister, Nova Macmillan. Marley didn't know much about her death, only that she died eleven years ago. Brielle's parents were also dead. Marley did not know much of her family, nor her aunt, nor her grandparents, nor her father. She knew almost no one.

The next photo was of her mother and Noelle, but when they were about sixteen or seventeen. They were in Hogwarts, but there were four boys with them. They wore Gryffindor uniforms and robes. Marley did not know or know the boys' names. They were escaping her memory. She was able to recognize at least Sirius Black, Noelle's husband, now in Azkaban. She couldn't think of the other names. Marley noticed that there was a piece of parchment in front of the photo of the young Brielle Macmillan. She thought she shouldn't open it, but she was too curious. And hardly her mother would have kept any deep secrets from her. But then she had no idea what secrets Brielle was hiding.

Marley's fingers trembled as she took the piece of parchment and opened it. It was a letter written in a slightly crooked but elegant handwriting. The ink was smeared in places, as if the one who was writing it was in a hurry to finish it.

Dear Brielle,

I admit I broke into million of pieces when you ran away from me with no clue. I had and I still have no idea what's happening with you, love. I'm so worried about you. I know Noelle told me not to worry, but how couldn't I? I really miss you, Hoofy. You have no idea what kind of torture is my life without you being around me.

Look, I wish you could at least tell me a goodbye, but you didn't even do that. I know I should hate you for what you've done, but I can't. I love you too much. Please, if you are reading this message, write me a letter to know that you're okay.