(Nolan x Lou) His Diagnosis

The Ugly Truth

THIRD PERSON POV:

Dawn broke out in the Institute Of Perfection and Lou sprung out of bed excited for the new day. The four other dolls still stayed sound asleep in the comfort of their bedding halfway across the small town. Lou felt fully energised despite the few hours lack of sleep he lost the night before. He snatched the files and dialled the numbers separately taking his time. Surprisingly, both answered. He spoke to them about Nolan and how he was. Lou tried to avoid talking about his plans as much as he could despite how badly he wanted to hear them coward in fear over the phone. He made up a complete lie and said that Nolan just came over for a quick visit but was injured and had to stay for a few days because he had a contagious virus (which was technically true). Mandy and Micheal both insisted on checking up on Nolan, Mandy more than Micheal, but Lou resisted making up as many excuses as he could. They finally gave in to Lou's lies and ended the call.
Lou laughed devilishly, "How foolish and naïve are they? They're worse than I thought! Honestly, I doubt they're ever figure out.. The ugly truth.."

LOU's POV:

At least 15 minutes after the call, I had began making breakfast. I was starving so I decided to make pancakes with vanilla yogurt and a wide selection of fruits like raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, basically just berries! I had to quickly abandon my pancakes because of a loud, desperate knock at the door. I wasted no time unlocking my many locks. My pancakes were on the line!
"Hello? Oh, Nolan!" I happily jumped. My heart skipped a beat. "Come in, come in! I was just about to yell at you for risking my pancakes burning!" I earned a humoured laugh from Nolan. He set himself down at the breakfast table and I set a dish up for him. He gladly absorbed the aroma of the sweet smelling treats. Once everything was set, I placed a china plate down at his side and sat at my end digging into the breakfast greedily. I quickly gobbled down the well prepared dish and glanced over at the doll who was only halfway through his food savouring every taste. "Do you like my cooking?" I proudly asked catching him off guard which almost caused him to choke.
"You made this? I thought it was some expensive ready meal! Lou, you're so talented!" Nolan struggled to encourage me through a mouthful of everything on his plate. I laughed awkwardly. I thought about telling him about the thing I did this morning. I considered even explaining my endless thoughts last night. My guilt was eating me up from the inside out.
"Nolan.. I err.. Need to talk about something that's been on my mind for awhile." I stuttered not knowing exactly where to start first. Nolan stopped eating and wiped his face with a napkin I had provided. I continued to talk, well sing actually. He seems to listen a lot better than he already does when he hears me sing. "Told your mother and your brother you won't compromise.." I began. Nolan gave me a look of shock and excitement. He struggled to explain how he had a nightmare of how my mood swings terrified him and he almost couldn't rest. I didn't think my heart can take anymore guilt. I had to pour all my thoughts out first. "Say my endless indecision keeps you up at night. Talking bout another man that you've been talking to.." I slowly began obviously referring to Micheal. "..Just to see if I'll get mad and I'll fight for you. But that's not me.." Nolan looked at me with pure horror and guilt like he did something wrong.
"Lou.. I'm so sorry, I didn't know you felt that way! If you let me listen, maybe you could tell me more about your problems." He calmly reassured me. He sat on the black lounge and patted the seat next to him allowing me to sit down and spill.
"Right now my head isn't screwed on right.. And I can't decide what I want." I paused. The room was quiet. Then I couldn't hold my emotions in anymore and I burst. "Every sway just breaks me a little and I can't take this back and forth!" I took Nolan's hand and he squeezed it to tell me it was alright. "It's not really safe for you in the middle.." I pointed towards the door and continued. "If you close that door, you'll see. It's unhinged, it's just like me."

NOLAN's POV:

Lou kept spilling and spilling his emotions out to me and I began to feel like I was on the Titanic. I was only able to see the tip of the iceberg of Lou's problems.
"Lou, I think you may have too many problems for someone who isn't professionally trained like me but if you really want me to decide, I'd say you have severe anxiety, depression and PTSD." I improvised in the long pause of Lou's sobs feeling the pressure like a tin can being squashed at the bottom of the sea.
"You're not the first to try and diagnose what's wrong with me. I'll be the first to admit that I'm hard to please." He covered his face in sudden embarrassment and shame as more tears streamed down his face. I didn't reply at all. I just placed my hand on his back and patted him gently. He quickly continued. "I'm afraid of finding out that I might be right for you because it's one step closer to life with you. And that's not me!" I gasped which probably triggered him to think I was disgusted. All this time, I honestly believed he was a heartless doll who sometimes felt bad on a rare occasion, but now that I've spent more time with him, I've quickly learnt that he's a big softie who is afraid of the big wide world. He swiftly removed himself off the comfy lounge and repeated himself. His voice broke and quivered, "Right now, my head isn't screwed on right and I can't decide what I want." My head suddenly felt light and I began to get dizzy. The room span around, teasing me. I looked at him and then at the door. I needed fresh air to process what just happened. "Every sway just breaks me a little and I can't take this back and forth. Nolan, it's not really safe for you in the middle." His lip quivered with sadness as he looked at me. "If you close that door, you'll see. It's unhinged, it's just like me." He raised his arms out and let the tears stream down. My heart ached seeing him in this state again.
"Lou, I..." Lou cut me off.
"I ain't afraid of my emotion, but I'm afraid to let you see cause I know if I stay open, I won't be what you need! When you close that door, you'll see." A fake smile stretched across his messy, porcelain skin. "It's unhinged, it's just like me!" I ran up to him, not able to bare seeing him in such a bad state anymore and hugged him tightly. A few seconds later, I felt his arms wrap me back and a tear unwillingly fell from my face no matter how hard I tried to keep it in. "If you close that door you'll see. You're unhinged, you're just like me.." He gently placed his head on mine and we stood there in a tight hug silently reassuring each other that we would be okay. He finally felt safe in my arms. I never would've thought I was the missing puzzle piece for Lou's impossible board.

(Song: Unhinged by Nick Jonas)