(Nolan x Lou) Forgiveness in the rain

The Ugly Truth

NOLAN's POV:

I opened my door expecting Ox to be there to kick me out of the town- but he wasn't there.. Dressed head to toe in a fancy, black suit and blue tie was Lou. The one and only was standing there in the pouring rain patiently waiting for me to say something.
"I.. I don't understand.. why are you here?" I stuttered in disbelief. Even though I couldn't forgive him for what he did, I couldn't ignore the pain of missing his company. He rushed to my side and hugged me. Although he was soaked from the rain, I allowed him to pull me close. His clothes were freezing and his skin was warm. The sensation was confusing yet comforting.
"I don't know why you left, Nolan, but I couldn't spend the night knowing that you were somewhere else singing along to someone else's song.." He mumbled into my shoulder so quietly that I could barely make out the words. I wept into his chest. I was so relieved that I didn't have to ignore him out of my stubbornness and pride. The hug exceeded the time limit a normal friend hug would but neither of us cared really. Lou struggled to untangle himself from the hug. He stared into my eyes and placed his cold hand onto my freckled face. He stared for so long that I began to believe he saw a whole parallel universe in them. Neither one of us knew exactly what to say or what to do. The violent rain filled in the thousands of thoughts that went unsaid.

LOU's POV:

Something in his eyes only sparked when he looked at me. Something in his mind played pictures not even the movies could produce. Something within him was truly strange and it frustrated me that I couldn't figure it out. The longer I spend with him, the more I'm more attached. It's like coming home and finding out the cat you thought you had lost forever was sitting there excited to see you. It's that same warm feeling that makes you feel like you've never really experienced happiness at all. It messes up your senses and makes you realise that you don't know anything about the world at all. Everyone is so small and the world is so big yet looking at Nolan made me suddenly realise that I was lucky enough to have someone care for me... I didn't need the whole of imperfection to know I was perfect- I needed Nolan! It finally clicked. After weeks of not understanding this tight feeling in my chest, I finally connected the dots. He was what I was missing. However, no one would accept me for what I did to them when I asked them for another chance. They would never accept me for having the biggest crush ever on another guy. So.. that means they would never accept Nolan. I couldn't tell him anything about how I felt no matter how bad it felt teasing him like this! I couldn't ruin his life more than I already had. Then I realised I had been staring for far too long.
"Ah.. um.. sorry, Nolan.." I stuttered nervously. I thought over what I would say in my excuse for staring at him. "I want to make things right. For real."
Nolan's eyes lit up as if he had been looking at fireworks for the first time, "you mean it?"
"I mean it." I softly grasped his hands and proudly announced my promise. "I have the last glass shard in one of my pockets. I'll address the town about the problem. You won't be apart of it so if they cast me out, you won't have to worry. You will stay here with your friends, meet your kid and everything will go back to normal. I'll just have to figure something out on my own.. Like it was supposed to be.."
Nolan glared at me and protested against the idea. "We were in this together. If you're doing it, I'm doing it. I refuse to let you get pushed aside like that! You're my best friend." It sounded like he gagged when he reluctantly said friend. I laughed. Nolan was always going to be there for me no matter the consequence. How could I refuse his company like that? I know he'd miss me, but I can't afford fixing the portal, being cast away and not being able to fix Nolan.
"If that's what you want to do, I won't stop you. You're not a baby, Nolan. I shouldn't be deciding things for you." I responded honestly. He smiled and I settled down on his sofa. It wasn't the most luxurious thing ever but at least it was comfy. As I drifted off to sleep with the sound of the rain to comfort me, I felt Nolan stroking my hair. I don't think he was aware I was still conscious, but I enjoyed the sensation of my rain covered hair being played with so I let it slide. Eventually, I drifted off to the dream world- The only place I didn't feel alienated.