(Nolan x Lou) Getting Closer Than Before:

The Ugly Truth

NOLAN's POV:

For the next few days, me and the girls worked on our project and Lou.. We pretended that his little emotional outburst never happened. We haven't spoken the same way we did before however. He is more professional now. I have to say, I appreciate that he's not joking around for once but I miss our entertaining walks and our long debates. Sometimes, he'll glance over at me and I always wonder if it's him looking over because he's flustered or if he's scared I'm going to reveal something. Last night, I dreamt that Lou and I danced the night away in a ballroom but a massive hand broke into the wall and snatched him away. I'm not sure if that was some suggestion that he had figured out how to get out of Perfection or if it was some sort of prophecy. A couple times, I've seen Lou fiddling with the stage, working hard. Every time I've caught him working on it, I always get distracted from whatever I'm doing and stop to stare. It's almost like a really fabulous car crash, really fabulous. So fabulous you just can't look away. I think he's spotted me a few times. He refused to talk to me and look at me the same. Lou really does exhaust me. However, for the first time in awhile, he's seemed really excited about something and asked me and the girls to join him around the stage. We didn't refuse. It gave us a break from our work. We arrived at the time he told us to. It was late. The moon was shining in the sky brighter than any star could. We took our seats and mumbled until the intro to the music began. The song and his humming made my heart skip a beat but when he came on, I think my face displayed my shock.

LOU's POV:

"Oh damn, oh damn, oh damn. I'm so perplexed with just one breath, I'm locked in. Oh damn, oh damn, oh damn. I'm so perplexed on that, it's almost shocking." I sung and closed my eyes as I strutted out of my hiding place at the very top of the stage. I'm not sure I know who but I heard two voices swoon-sigh. "I know, I know you know you're scared. Your heart, your mind, your soul, your body. They won't, they won't, they won't be careful but I guess that you don't know me." I began to step down the stairs to the beat looking into the audience. I had suddenly reached the lights and joyfully stepped on them as I locked eyes with Nolan. "Cause if I want you, and I want you babe. Ain't going backwards, won't ask for space. 'Cause space was just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get too.." I paused and didn't dare to remove my eyes from the intense stare Nolan was giving back. I gently grabbed his tie, "Close, ooh. Oh, so close, ooh. I want you close, ooh." I quickly let go of him. I could almost hear his heart beating over my own voice. I quickly went back to dancing. "'Cause space was just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get too close, ooh. Oh, so close, ooh. I want you close, ooh." I turned around and looked behind my shoulder while singing the last line. "Ooh, I want you close but close ain't close enough, no." I continued the song enjoying every bit of Nolan's attention almost forgetting the girls were there. Eventually, I got a bit too excited and pulled Nolan into the stage with me guiding him through the easy swirls and steps and he sung with me.
"'Cause if I want you, and I want you babe. Ain't going backwards, won't ask for space. Cause space was just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get too..." I swirled Nolan and leaned him backwards. There was a long dramatic pause as the music slowly got quieter. I stared into his multicoloured eyes and he reciprocated. We gasped for air with all the activities. The girls sat there in their seats with their mouths open wide but I was too busy finishing the song to notice at the time. "Close!" I pulled Nolan into the dance again and finished the song a few seconds later with my favourite line.
"Oh, I want you close but close ain't close enough, no.." We stared at each other out of breath. I began to dart my eyes at his lips and slowly yet hesitantly leaned in. I quickly snapped out of it with an awkward laugh when the girls started clapping and cheering clearly oblivious to what was about to happen. I bowed and Nolan and I jumped off the stage. I placed one hand on my chest over my heart and one hand on my burning red face. What was happening to me?

(Song: Close by Nick Jonas)