Chapter 1

I really didn't want to start with the cliche beginning of waking up to the steady, and monotone beat of a heart monitor, but sadly that's the first thing I noticed. The second thing was the excruciating pain in the back of my throat. It was almost at if I was being forced to swallow thousands of red hot needles.

I felt warm, salty, tears squeeze out from my tightly closed and swollen eyes leaving tracks down my cheeks. Within fifteen minutes I was asleep again.

My dream started much like my day had. I was sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast, at our home in Vermont. When my father came down the stairs.

He was dressed in a pair of grey sweats and his maroon Harvard sweatshirt. This was very different from his every day attire. My dad was a lawyer, so not only was he always neatly dressed, but he was also never home.

"Dad?" I asked. "What in the world are you wearing? And what do you think you are doing home?"

He looked down at his outfit and smiled.

"I can't go to work today, I'm sick" he responded with a fake cough.

"Huh, well then I guess I can't go to school, either. I was really looking forward to that AP Chemistry test today too. Oh well." Snapping my fingers in mock disappointment.

"So how about I sit and watch a movie with my favorite daughter?" dad suggested.

"Dad, I'm your only daughter" I shouted as I ran upstairs to change into a pair of pajamas. When I got back to the living room with my pink and orange polka dot blanket trailing behind me, dad had already put a movie in.

"That's what makes you my favorite, duh" I laugh, but still felt the traces of sadness that usually came when thinking of my mother.

You see I was supposed to have a younger brother. Life was supposed to be perfect. My mom had always dreamed of having two children, a boy and a girl. Things didn't turn out that way, about seven months in my mom became really sick. My little brother was born almost two months too early, and was still born. Not only that, but my mom left with him.

Noticing my change in mood, dad pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry Angel, I know you miss her because I do too, but she is watching over us always. Now come on, enough seriousness"

After watching The Avengers, The Sandlot, and the first Star Wars movie, my stomach was growling loud enough to put Chewbacca to shame. My dad, of course, thought it was funny and just laughed at me.

"Why don't we go somewhere to get some food?" he asked through his laughs.

"Okay, but I get to pick where, because you're laughing at me" I said, crossing my arms over my chest and walking towards the door. I stopped to grab my dance company sweatshirt out of the closet.

"Where to, princess?" he asked, opening the door and motioning for me to go through.

"How about Olive Garden?"

"Sounds good to me."

The car ride was quiet for the most part. Only the radio playing. I sang along to a few songs while dad tapped the beat on the steering wheel.

All of the sudden, the smile dropped from his face. His laughing smiling mood, gone. It was when I was about to ask him what was wrong when I saw it too.

A black SUV was now in our lane and was traveling straight for us. Dad tried to move out of the way, to pull to the side of the road, but it was too late, there was no possible place to move.