Chapter 4

I now have a new appreciation for those kids in the movie Annie.

Walking down the stairs to meet the rest of the family was terrifying. What if they didn't like me?

Then there was the chance that I would fall down the stairs like they do in the movies, that would be one heck of a first impression.

When the two of us got to the bottom of the stairs, Ember continued forward down a hall in to what I assumed was the living room.

The voices continued to get louder the closer we got. Just before we walked in Ember turned to me.

"Are you ready to meet the rest of the zoo?" she asked me

My head was screaming no, but what does the mouth do when the brain tells it not to do some thing? It does the exact opposite.

Giving a strong nod of my head, and Ember pushed open the door.

It would be that action that would cause my heart to stop for ever.

Just kidding, but it did cause my feet to stop. It also caused all the talking in the living room to stop and all eyes to turn to me.

There were eight pairs in all. One set belonged to Connor, but the others people I hadn't met before.

Resisting the urge to turn and run out of the room, I gave everyone a wave and a small smile.

"Who are you?" the smallest one asked me in a slight nasally tone. He looked like he was about ten, there was a huge resemblance between him and Ember.

He had her blonde hair, but his was short and spiky in the front. His blue eyes were narrowed at me, almost like he was trying to remember if he had seen me before.

It was at his point that Connor snapped out of his day-dream and came to stand next to me.

"Boys I would like for you to meet, Ashlynn Grey. She is going to be staying with us." Ember announced.

Most of the boys looked back in forth from me to there parents, as if trying to figure out why I would be in there house in the first place. Much less living with them.

"Hey dad doesn't your best friend have the last name Grey?" One of the boys asked.

This one was looked like he was about sixteen, and like all the rest of his brothers he was externally attractive. I mean like someone get the fire extinguisher.

Before Connor could respond I had my marker uncapped and was writing on my white board.

'Yeah, that guy would be my dad' Flipping my board over to let the Tearins boys read it.

"Okay, but that still doesn't explain why you are here, or why you are using a white board to speak. Can you not talk?" the same boy asked.

Looking up at Connor I furrowed my eyebrows. 'I thought they knew' I wordlessly questioned.

Connor caught on right away. Guilt filled his eyes.

"I thought they did, to be honest, but I guess not. Im sorry Ashlynn" He whispered to me.

Tears came to my eyes, as I looked at my feet.

"Ashlynn's dad was killed in a car accident two weeks ago. In that same accident Ashlynn's vocal cords were served, so no she can't speak." Connor told the boys, his voice cracking when he mentioned my dad.

A single tear rolled down my cheek as he told them this.

'Can we please talk about something else' I wrote down on my board.

"Of course sweetheart. How about you boys introduce yourselves real quick?" Ember asked them.

The first to come up to me was the youngest, his name was Kian and he was ten like I guessed he was.

Following him was a fourteen year old named Blake and a twelve year old named Jace.

Both Blake and Jace had there dads brown hair and brown eyes. Blake's hair was a little longer than Jace's was.

Next came Zander who was nineteen, Tate who was fifteen, and the boy that asked about why I was there was Derrick he was sixteen

Derrick surprised me by pulling me into a hug. "Im sorry about your dad" he whispered.

I just patted his back and nodded a thanks.

There was one more boy left. He was gorgeous, his cobalt blue eyes stared into my gray ones, and my fingers were tempted to run themselves through his brown hair.

He looked at me for a moment longer, before walking right past me and out of the room.

"That would be Easton he's eighteen, and can be a total jerk. Don't take it personally, he will warm up to you soon."

Derrick whispered to me as I stared after Easton in confusion.

What was his problem?

One thing I'm certain about at the moment is that it is going to be one heck of a process, getting him to talk to me.

Im just really hope he doesn't end up hating me at the end of it. We all know that wouldn't be good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright guys, so what did you think of the boys? I think Ashlynn is going to start school in the next chapter.

Question: What is your high school like? Is is a stereotypical high school like you read about in books or is it different?

Comment and I may use your high school as the one I describe in the story. I will defiantly dedicate the chapter to you if I choose yours.

See ya

~L3xi