Chapter 9

"Are you okay?" He asked me as I continued to look into his eyes.

I didn't answer, letting the tears falling from my eyes speak for themselves.

Easton just nodded before slipping a hand under my knees and carrying my into my bed room.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked as he sat on my bed and placed me in his lap.

Shaking my head, I buried me face into Easton's chest, and continued to cry. I cried for about thirty minutes before falling into a deep sleep.

It was the day I got fitted for my first pair of pointe shoes. I was eleven and so excited I could barely stay in me seat.

All young dancers dream if the day they get their first pair, it means your stronger and better.

We were in a large dance store in New York called 'Russian Pointe'. My father was sitting next to me and laughing at my excitement.

"You must be Ashlynn" a tall gracefully women stated with a smile.
She was obviously a dancer, I could see the lean muscles in her arms and legs.

Nodding my head, I stood up.

"I'm Monique. Follow me"

My dad and I followed her the back left corner of the building.

I gasped as I saw row after row of pink satin pointe shoes. It was so beautiful, I almost cried.

Monique just smiled at me. "Are you ready to try on your first pair?"

"Yes!" I yelled excitedly, before covering my mouth in embarrassment.

"It's alright Ashlynn, there have been girls that scream and burst into tears before." she said chuckling.

Nodding still slightly embarrassed, I sat down on one of the benches. Pulling my dance tights up so my toes were showing, I pull on a set on gel toe pads that Monique handed to me, and them put my tights back over my toes.

Taking a moment to look at my feet, Monique walked over to the shelf and pulled down a pair of shoes.

"Try these on, they are a 4 1/4" she said before explaining that pointe shoes run in smaller sizes and even a 16th of an inch can cause a dancer to break her ankle.

Putting my toes inside I pushed the platform against the floor to get my feet to the front. Then put the rest of the shoe and the other shoe on.

"Go ahead and stand up and come over here" she said leading me over to a barre. "First things first, do a plié in second position, going as low as you can".

When I do the plié she tells me to hold it at the bottom. "Do you feel your toes overlapping each other or curling against the front of the shoe?"

Shaking my head she then tells me to go on pointe. Asking me the same questions as before, I again shake my head.

"Alright last question... Do they fit better when on pointe or flat?"

"They feel better when I'm on pointe" I respond, going back up to pointe one more time.

"Good, they should feel that way. They are made to help dancers stay on their toes, so the natural position in the shoe is on pointe." Monique stated.

Trying on a few other pairs, I finally decided on the first ones I tried on. After paying for the shoes, toe pads, and a deep purple mesh bag. My father and I left the store promising that we would be back in six months to a year.

I woke up with a smile on my face, only to have it turn to a frown. Easton was no longer in my room, and I couldn't even play just dance without crying.

Life without my dad was just so different. He was with me every step of the way when it came to dance. My first competition, my first pointe shoes, my first solo, my first lead role, everything.

Now I can't even bring myself to open my dance bag. It just sits in my closet until I build the strength.

My stomach rumbles, bringing me out of my thoughts. School has been out for about an hour, so dinner won't be for another three.

Walking down stairs, I make my way towards the kitchen, only to walk directly into someone. Again.

"Seriously, would you watch where you are going!" Easton says pushing me out of the way before stomping upstairs.

I continue to stand there in shock. What happened to the Easton that wiped my tears when I was crying just over an hour ago? And I thought we were making progress.

In the words of Wile E Coyote 'Back to the drawing board.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

So Easton and Ashlynn had a small moment, then he had to go and ruin it. Guys these days. What did you think? Should the next chapter be in Easton's POV, Ashlynn's POV, or someone else's? Comment on who you want, the person with the most comments will win.

Dance lesson of the Day:

Barre: (bar) a horizontal pole that is either attached to a wall or is supported by legs on either end. Dancers use them for anything from warm ups and stretching to technique and dances.

Second position: standing with your legs a little wider than shoulders width.

Plié: (plee A) a bend at the knees usually pushing them out sideways. It can either be shallow or deep and is done in any position.

Question: What do you look forward to most during this Holiday season?

Vote

Comment

Follow

Love ya,

~L3xi