Chapter 2

I was in the hospital for a little longer than a week. They would have released me sooner, but due to the fact that I was moving across the country, Dr. Michaels wanted to make sure that nothing would go wrong. So they decided to wait for my throat to heal a little more before releasing me.

That week definitely made the top three on my longest weeks ever list. I missed my dad so much, and I couldn't do anything but sit there. I cried my self to sleep every night, and woke up crying from the nightmares. Mr. Tearins tried to help, but there was only so much he could do. He reminded me so much of my dad.

While I was in the hospital, Connor made arrangements for the things in my house to be packed up, and shipped of to his home in California. All that was brought to the hospital was a small bag of extra clothes for me to wear.

I was very thankful for that. If I had to clean out my house by myself, I most likely would have broke down and chained myself to the stairs. Or I would have collapsed in tears before even getting to the door.

I was already crying rivers. Okay, forget rivers. I was crying oceans. Large, salty, wet, oceans.

Three days after I was released from the hospital, my father's funeral was held. Our neighbors and friends, both mine and dads came to show support. I however was just going through the motions.

When I saw the girls from my dance team, I couldn't even make eye contact.

My dad had always wanted me to dance, so he signed me up for dance lessons when I was two. He was right there in the front row at every performance and competition I was in. Without him there, I don't feel like dancing anymore.

By six the next morning, Connor and I were in a car on our way to California. Dr. Michaels recommended that we drive there instead of fly. Something about the elevation damaging my vocal cords and causing them to hurt even more than they were already.

So there I was, stuck in a car for forty six hours, driving across the country with someone I had met a week ago, after finding out my father and best friend was killed in nothing less than a car accident.

The ride was pretty quiet. Shocker, I know. Connor talked a little, but it was mainly silent apart from the radio playing in the background.

Around two in the afternoon, we stopped at a Little America near Pittsburg, Pennsylvania to fill up the tank.

"Do you want something to eat?" Connor asked me after the tank was full.

I shook my head, and looked out the window, signaling that I wasn't hungry. The truth is, I really wasn't, and hadn't been for a few days. It still hurt my throat to eat. Imagine trying to swallow a golf ball when you have cold sores running up and down your throat, and my stomach wouldn't be able to keep down much of what I ate anyway. That is what eating was like. Not fun!

"I know its hard and it hurts, Ashlynn, but you really need to eat something. Even just a little bit will help,"

Ignoring him, I continued to look out the window. With a sigh, he turned and went inside, returning moments later with a bag of sandwiches, chips, and Gatorade.

It took about fifteen minutes once we were on the road again, for me to take one of the sandwiches out of the bag.

"I knew you were hungry" Connor murmured chuckling as I pulled a tiny piece off the ham and cheese sandwich.

Giving him a small smile, I nod my head. I really wasn't hungry at all, but I knew he was going to force me to eat something eventually.

Half an hour later, I had successfully eaten about an eighth of the sandwich and had a few sips of Gatorade, even though it felt like I was swallowing sandpaper and that I was going to throw up if I ate any more.

After, I set down my sandwich, Connor handed me some of the pain killers Dr. Michaels gave me. One of the side effects of them was that they knocked me out.

By the time I woke up again, the sun was setting and Connor had pulled into a Red Robin.

Getting out of the car, I walked with him to the front door.

"Table for two?" The hostess asked. She looked about seventeen, so the same age I was, with dark red hair and green eyes.

I nodded, and she lead us to one of the back tables. A waiter came and took our drink orders shortly after we were seated. I got a water, and Connor got a coke.

After we got our drinks and ordered our food, I stood up and motioned to the sign that said restroom. Connor nodded and I left.

As I was washing my hands, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and cringed. My light brown hair looked like a tornado had come through, and my blue-gray eyes were lacking the brightness they usually had.

Quickly drying my hands, I left the restroom and went back to the table. Our food had just arrived, and Connor was waiting for me before he started eating.

I gave him a small smile, and we dug in. When we were both too full to eat anymore, Connor decided to tell me about his family.

"Im just going to warn you now, Ashlynn, my house gets a little crazy." he said with a laugh.

I just shrugged my shoulders.

"Oh, no, Ashlynn. I don't think you understand. The reason it's so wild is because I have seven sons."

My eyes widened, and if I were to be drinking something I probably would have choked. I held up seven fingers just to make sure I heard him right.

He nodded. "Yes, seven."

Oh Lord, please help me!

*****

The following two days continued much like the first one did, but now, Connor talked a lot more. He told me stories about the stupid things he and my dad used to do. I even laughed a little.

About an hour before we arrived at his house, Connor turned to me.

"My boys know that you are coming, and they know about your dad, but they don't know that you um... Can't talk. I can tell them when I introduce you, if you would like."

I nodded my head. It would be so much easier if everything was just out in the open.

As we got closer and closer to the house, I got more and more nervous. Connor must have noticed, because he kept sending me reassuring smiles.

We pulled up to a large gate a few minutes later. At the entrance, Connor typed in a code on the keypad and the doors opened. we drove along a short path.

"Welcome home, Ashlynn." Connor said with a huge smile as the house came into view.

My jaw hit the ground (not really. That would be a serious issue). This was definitely not a house. This was a freakin' mansion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, so what did you guys think of this chapter? Please point out any mistakes you might find.

Iamsofifi edited helped edit this chapter and the one before.

Vote

Comment

Fan

Later bros

L3xi.