Chapter I

In the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, Jedi Master K'Kruhk oversees the training of a group of Younglings. Zatt and Ganodi along with Gungi and Byph were training their Shii-Cho form on seeker droids. As the youngling deflect the blast, Zatt gets hit in the shoulder.

Zatt: Ow!

Some of the other younglings chuckle, but are soon shot themselves. K'Kruhk quickly points out their errors.

K'Kruhk: Focus younglings. You must always maintain focus. Focus could mean life or death in battle.

Zatt: Yes Master K'Kruhk.

Ganodi: We'll do better!

The Whiphid Jedi master lets out a sigh as he smiles. In the same room, Katooni and Petro were sparring with practice blades. Katooni manages to trip her partner.

Petro: Hey what was that?!

Katooni: A diversion.

As Katooni helps her partner up, a Jedi Master with facial tattoos entered the training room. The arrival of the Jedi Master grabs K'Kruhk's attention.

K'Kruhk: Master A'Sharad Hett! It's been too long my old apprentice.

Hett: Indeed it has my old master.

The two Jedi Masters shook each other's hands. After that, K'Kruhk gathered all the Younglings.

K'Kruhk: Gather round Initiates! We have a special guest. Jedi Master A'Sharad Hett.

The Younglings greeted the Jedi Master to his amusement. He looked to the group of Younglings. Katooni and Petro caught his attention.

Hett: Katooni. Petro. Step forward.

Katooni and Petro did as Hett instructed. Both were nervous as they stood before the presence of the Jedi Masters.

Hett: You two are the top of your classes. The Force is strong in you both. But the Jedi Codes says that I can only take one Padawan. That is why you two will duel.

Upon hearing that, the two Padawans looked to each other in confusion. Considering that they just sparred, fighting a duel to see who would become Hett's Padawan. The human boy smirked at the Tholothian girl.

Petro: Well what are we waiting for? Let's do this!

As Petro and Katooni prepared to duel, the other Younglings become jealous about the opportunity their fellow Younglings were given.

Zatt: Man I can't believe Katooni and Petro are going to train under a Jedi Master!

Ganodi: Who do you think is gonna win?

Gungi: <I think Petro's got this!>

Byph: <Don't count Katooni out! She's pretty good with a Lightsaber!>

As the Younglings spoke their opinions, Katooni and Petro got into stances. Katooni got into her Soresu stance while Petro got into an Ataru stance.

K'Kruhk: Begin!

The two Younglings began fighting one another with practice sabers. Petro started by attacking his partner while Katooni blocked his attacks. Hett immediately notices something familiar about Katooni's style.

Hett: It seems Katooni has an admiration for Master Kenobi.

K'Kruhk: You're not wrong old friend. Katooni has expressed admiration for Master Kenobi. She's grown accustomed to Soresu's demands. As for Petro, his aggressive fighting style made him a natural at Ataru.

Hett looked upon the fight with interest. As the Younglings cheered on their friends, Katooni kept up a strong defense as Petro pressed the assault.

Petro: Had enough?

Katooni: Not even close!

As Petro swung at Katooni, she parried the blow and disarmed him. Petro used the Force to grab his training blade and continued to press the assault. As the fight went on, Katooni started to feel fatigue from the fight. Hett notices this.

Hett: It seems Petro's aggression is starting to wear down young Katooni.

K'Kruhk: Soresu is not designed for a prolonged duel. Even Master Kenobi has made mention of that weakness.

Eventually, Petro disarmed Katooni and knocked her down. Knowing she couldn't continue, Katooni relents.

Petro: Sorry about that. Guess I went a little overboard!

Katooni: You certainly know your way around a Lightsaber!

Petro helped Katooni up. As the Younglings walked up to the two to congratulate them, A'Sharad Hett approaches them.

Hett: That was an impressive display from the both of you. You dueling skills need work, but you are young. Petro. Your skills with the blade are formidable. It seems Master Drallig has taught you well.

Petro: Glad I could impress Master Hett. I learned from the best.

Hett took note of Petro's confidence. At that moment, Master Hett made his decision.

Hett: Petro. By the will of the Jedi Order and by the will of the Force, I, A'Sharad Hett name you my Padawan Learner. Rise.

Petro was completely stunned. Katooni and the rest offered their congratulations.

Katooni: Congratulations Petro. You finally did it!

Petro: It's so surreal. I can't believe I'm going to be training under a Jedi Master!

Zatt: You earned it pal!

Gungi roared in joy. But as the Younglings were about to celebrate their friend's promotion, Hett interrupted them.

Hett: Petro. You training will begin immediately. We will be joining the Republic's war effort in the Outer Rim.

Petro: You mean we're gonna fight the Clone Wars?

Hett: Yes my young Padawan. I will warn you, the road to becoming a Jedi will be long and difficult. Will you continue to walk this path?

Petro: Being a Jedi is what I've always dreamed of! Why would I turn back now?

In that moment, Jedi Master A'Sharad Hett took in Petro as his Padawan Learner. K'Kruhk took pride in both his former apprentice and his student. Katooni and the others were overjoyed that their friend was on the path to becoming a Jedi Knight. Even as the Clone Wars raged across the Galaxy, the young Jedi along with their masters were optimistic for the future.