.6.

Turning my car off, I climb out. I'm still a little exhausted from my night out with Kenny but I knew when Mo invited me for dinner it was a request not a suggestion so I dragged my ass into the shower and found some clean clothes.

I knock on the front door, stuffing my hands into my jeans. Dinners at Mo's make me feel like some broke charity case, just like it always did in high school. He's got better things to do then worry about me.

The door rattles from the other side, swinging open after a moment and I'm met with the mountain himself.

"Hey there you are!" Coach Mo wraps me into a hug as he pulls me through the front door of his house. "How are you doing son?"

I'm miserable but I force a smile on my face and say "Good, you?"

"Great! I'm great. Come on, come in." He ushers me in, the house warm and inviting.

I can hear voices whispering through the walls, growing louder the deeper we go.

Mo's rambling about basketball, Holt's name coming up at some point but as we round the corner into the living room I stop in my tracks. It takes her just a moment to notice us, a beautiful toothy grin on her face as she looks warmly at her dad before her eyes meet mine.

She looks nearly the same, like age hasn't hit her, full of life and happiness. Effortlessly stunning like she's always been.

"Oh my gosh! Drew!" Her body is in motion, rounding the corner of the couch her arms opened wide and once again I'm pulled into a hug.

A laugh rumbles in my chest as I accept it. My face buried in her wild hair, the scent of honey and lemon invading my senses.

"Hey Birdie."

"I didn't know you were going to be here." She pulls back and I instantly dread it. "You look good."

A smirk twitches my lips. "Not as good as you."

She laughs, an enchanting sound that for a second makes my heart race. I'm a little shocked, I didn't know it could still do that. "Still a sweet talker I see."

But I'm being serious.

"Come sit." Her long fingers wrap around my wrist, her skin forever kissed by the sun contrasting against mine making it look more lifeless than I feel. "Are you thirsty?"

"Yeah a water'd be great." I sit down when she releases my wrist. "Thanks."

I'd actually take a shot or two of whiskey. But Mo's here. He's been a little touchy about me drinking ever since the night of the overpass. A part of me doesn't blame him. But alcohol isn't what drove me there that night. Desperation and a loneliness that lives so deep in my bones I'm not sure it'll ever be filled drove me there.

It's still driving me there.

                             ————————

"So you live in town?" I ask Birdie later that night from the porch where we've retreated.

She smiles, something I wish she'd never stop doing. "Yeah, I finished my internship not too long ago and when I got the job at Amazon I had to move back. I missed home."

I wish I could say the same.

"What about you? What're you doing these days?"

I look down at my shoes so she can't see how disgusted I am with myself. "I work for my dad. Marketing manager."

"That's awesome." Her hand lands on my arm like an electric shock and memories flood my mind. "Do you love it?"

I'm not about to tell her I hate it. That I wish my dad would just fire me. So I smile and say "Yeah it's good." I don't want to keep talking about work though following it up with "you still play basketball?"

She nudges me in the shoulder. "Uh duh. Do you know me at all?"

I laugh, a genuine laugh. It's been years since I talked to Birdie. Once she graduated and I transferred from the community college I saw her here and there at Holt's games occasionally. But eventually I even stopped going to those, staying home in my flat, miserable and alone unless Jaelyn was there.

"I should have known." I muse but this hole opens up within me making it nearly impossible to keep smiling.

"What about you?" She asks, her voice quieter picking up on my mood change.

Shaking my head no, I don't elaborate. I don't tell her I haven't picked up a ball since the last time Holt, her and I played together. Almost six years ago.

"We should play sometime. I bet I can still kick your butt." She's teasing me.

"Twice." My smile comes back, my heart skipping a little as I reminisce. "You kicked my ass twice."

"Only because you always picked Holt."

I baulk in offensive. "Alright. You're on."

Standing from the swing, I jump down the steps and head for Mo's garage. Birdie laughs beside me, a beautiful song that carries through the dusk air.

"Where are you going?" She calls after me.

Punching in the code to the garage, the door creaks open and I step in. It's takes but a moment to locate the pile of basketballs.

"I'm going to prove I don't need Holt to kick your ass." I grab a basketball, the leather feels like home against my palm even though I haven't held one in forever.

I send the ball toward the ground, the motions coming back easily as I lock eyes with Birdie.

"You're on." Birdie's eyes light up just like they always did when she was playing, fierce and determined and full of laser focused energy.

She's definitely going to kick my ass.

But I don't even care. I've missed her.

I step left, passing the ball between my legs as I go right, heading for what would be about half court.

"Do I get a warm up shot?" I call out.

Birdie's on me, low in her defensive position, a devilish smirk on her face.

"Scared you're gonna lose?" She quips.

My lungs are already screaming, my heart racing as adrenaline tries to spark in my body but I'm out of shape. So all it's really doing is giving me false speed and agility.

"Yeah, actually, I am." I confess.

Her smile widens, hazel eyes bright and full of laughter as her curls bounce wildly in the air. It almost feels like we're back in high school.

But I'm too full of regrets and emptiness for it to be high school.

"Too late."

I want to stay here for as long as I can. Watching Birdie, feeling my heart pound in my chest. I want to feel this for everything that it is because I haven't felt shit in so long.

But Birdie doesn't let me, swiping the ball from my hands. I don't even have time to react as she does a lay up with more grace and ease then I've ever seen. Staying where I am, she catches the ball turning to me with a heart stopping smile.

"What happened old man?" She asks. "Can't keep up?"

A laugh escapes me and for a moment all there is, is Birdie.

"Just going easy on you." She raises her eyebrows at me calling me on my own bullshit. "You're welcome."

My hearts come alive within my chest, fluttering with feelings I thought I could no longer possess. I still have a crush on her, that's apparent.

                               ————————

We are driving home from the airport and it's almost 2 am so I figured I'd update you now incase I'm lucky enough to sleep in.

Birdie's back! Who's happy?