.62.

Owen Savas

I need to eat that stupid sandwich that's perched on the edge of my desk, put there by Mina, but my pain's been flaring today and it's killing my appetite. I know she's right but it still doesn't make me want to.

My phone rings as I stare at the sandwich, the perfectly layered lettuce, on top of the roasted veggies, the cheese oozing over it as it melts against the warm bread. She's desperately trying to make me a vegetarian and normally a sandwich like that would almost make me entertain it but not today. I snatch my phone off my desk, a number I don't recognize on the screen.

"Owen Savas." I bark into it, if it's a god damn telemarketer again I'm changing my fucking number.

"Hi Owen this is Coach Mo from high school."

I sit back in my chair, puzzled as to why the high school coach is calling me.

"Hey, how are you?"

He takes a deep breath and I can't help but wonder what the theatrics are for.

"I know you and Drew weren't necessarily friends these past few years."  He tells me. "But he asked me to do a favor for him a little while ago." He pauses and I can't figure out why Drew wouldn't just tell me himself. He's got my number and it's not like we haven't seen each other. "And well he wanted me to tell you that it didn't have anything to do with you."

I'm fucking lost, scowling at the sandwich. "What didn't?"

"Son I hate to have to tell you this..." and then I feel it, I know what this is but I'm still not ready for it. "Drew killed himself last night."

My eyes snap shut and I take a deep breath. We weren't even friends anymore. I only saw him recently because of Alec. Releasing my breath, I try to convince myself that I'm okay.

"Thanks for letting me know Coach."

"Yeah. Of course."

There's no good bye from either of us, we just hang up the phone. Taking another deep breath, I push my fingertips together into a pyramid, staring at the sandwich like it's the cause to all problems. We weren't even friends.

"Fuck!"

My fists slam against the top of my desk but it doesn't do shit to calm the sudden anger that tears through me. I slam my hands down again, my chest restricting as my lungs tighten.

"FUCK!"

I'm drowning in anger, launching off my chair unsteadily. In one sweeping motion, I send the sandwich flying and everything else from off my desk, my chest heaving but no relief comes. I'm blinded by it, utterly consumed and I just need it out. Grabbing my cane, I start swinging in a frantic attempt at relieving myself from all the pain. I get a couple hits in before my momentum knocks me onto my bad leg and I crumble to a heap on the floor. My breathing ragged, pain rolling through my chest just as Mina bursts through the door.

"Owen!" She screams at me panicked. ""What is going on!"

"God damn it!" I punch the floor but I can feel the fight leave my body in a rush. "That fucking asshole."

Mina drops to her knees beside me and I shift off my hands and knees, gulping for air. I stab my fist at the wood floor weakly.

"What happened Owen?" Her hands find the side of my face, tilting my head up to hers but I can feel tears trying to come and I don't want her to see. "Owen?"

I reach my hand out for her, tangling it in her hair as I pull her to me tight in hopes she can keep me from falling apart.

But it doesn't and I can't contain the sob that forces its way out as I say, "Drew fucking killed himself."

                                   The End
                           —————————

Stick around for an author's note. Or don't. But ya know that's what I'm going to tell you guys I love you and you're amazing so ya know, there's that.

Also for those reading with absolutely no spoilers nows the time to go read Mina's epilogue. Tomorrow like I said will be the first chapter of Vows so look for it.