.43.

As soon as I pull the door open on the gym I'm met with a blast of noise. Shouts and footfalls, whistles and buzzers blare through the door assaulting my ears and I turn to take a hesitant glance at Holt. He's been trying to act like he isn't nervous about this thing but he is.

"You good?" I ask.

He nods his head, a tight movement. Releasing a breath, I step through the doors to a massive gym, groups of people huddled around different nets, a game going on at the far end.  It's filled with young kids mostly, adults sprinkled in here and there.

"Excuse me." My focus draws away from the scene before me to a woman sitting at table just inside the doors. "There's no pets allowed in the gym."

I'm confused for a moment, glancing around me to see if there's someone else she could possibly be referring too. She must sense my confusion because she lazily gestures down with the pen that's in her hand, eyebrows raised at me like she thinks I might be stupid.

"Oh, no. He's not a pet." I tell her. "Service dog."

"Where's his jacket then?" She asks.

I have no fucking clue, Blue never wear his jacket anymore, he's famous. "The dry cleaners."

She gives me an annoyed look, "Well your friend isn't allowed to bring his dog in here unless it's a certified service dog and considering you don't have a jacket on the dog I'm going to assume you're lying."

Scoffing, I look at Holt who's laser focused on the floor, hand stretched down to Blue where the dog licks him.

"Do you know who he is?" I snap at the lady not actually giving her a chance to respond. "That's NBA player Holt Lincoln and his dog Blue."

She gives me a smug look. "I don't know who that is."

I bark out laughter. "He plays for the fucking Bulls! You know Chicago's home team."

Is this really happening right now?

"It's okay, l-let's just leave." Holt mumbles beside me.

We've attracted a small crowd, some of who must actually recognize Holt because there's a whisper of voices and stares that seem to trap us in our spot.

"No this is ridiculous." I say, watching as a kid steps forward from the crowd.

"Will you sign my shoe?" He asks Holt, tugging his shoe off his foot.

Holt's nodding and I look back to the woman at the table smugly as I swipe a permanent marker from her coffee cup she has full of pens. I hand it to Holt, watching as he scribbles his name across it. The kid is lit up, glancing at who I'm guessing is his mom excitedly, as he bounces on the balls of his feet.

The woman behind the table waits until Holt hands the shoe back, taking a strained photo with the kid and Blue. She interjects as someone else steps toward Holt, a question just about to leave their lips.

"You cannot bring that dog in here unless it's a certified service dog regardless of who he is." She demands.

The person about to ask for an autograph backs away slowly and I gear up for a fight. I know Holt's not going to press the issue but this woman's ignorance and shit attitude is pissing me off.

But just as I go to open my mouth a giant parts the crowd and Michael Ross suddenly stands before us with a giant toothy grin on his face.

Now I'm tall, a couple inches over six foot but Michael Ross makes me look and feel like a damn midget, Holt just a speck. Not only does he tower over me in height but he's easily three times my mass and because I'm me I can't keep my mouth shut.

"Holt shit you're big." I comment.

He glances at me briefly, smiling like he hears that all the time before one of his massive paws reaches out for Holt's shoulder. I can't hear it but I see the contraction in Holt's chest and the jump that shudders through his body. It's instinct, my body reacting without much thought from my mind as I intercept Michael Ross' hand and shake it.

"Hey I'm Drew."

He's polite enough to redirect his attention to me, telling me his name is Michael Ross even though I obviously know that.

"I'm Holt's friend." I keep talking, sneaking glances at Holt out of the corner of my eye.

I don't know the situation between Holt and his teammates. Like if any of them have the ability to read body language for starters. But from what Holt said the night before I can only assume that space is something they don't get Holt needs. So I create it for him.

"I was his captain in high school." I ramble on. "Made me look like a damn fool on the court all the time."

Michael Ross' laughter booms, the crowd that had collected slowly dispersing as they realize they've been pushed to the side.

"Ah!" He says. "That Drew."

My heart sinks, my thoughts rushing back to the ball game and Aiden.

"What?"

He throws an arm around my shoulder, turning to the woman that was adamant we couldn't be in the gym and says "these guys are with me". Her face burns red but she sits with a curt nod and I can't help but smile smugly at her as we turn to walk away.

"Your boys not a talker but when he does you're always in the conversation." He says warmly and I look to Holt who's walking beside us, his face flushing. I can see the tiny movement of his lips as he silently counts his breaths. "He speaks very highly of you."

I almost blubber out some lame response but he doesn't give me a chance.

"It's good to finally meet the legend. And I guess I should probably thank you. I've been trying to get Holt to come check this place out for months but he's been a no show. Until now."

"Uh yeah, no problem." I mumble, my thoughts unable to process all that he's just said.

My eyes meet Holt and I'm relieved to see him slightly more relaxed as he takes in our surroundings. Michael's arm heavy across my shoulders.

"W-what do you do?" Holt asks and I'm thankful, my ability to converse is at an all time low apparently as I watch him.

Michael starts into a long winded spiel, Holt listens closely even as he reaches down for Blue. But I can't seem to focus as I think about everything in my life leading up to this point. All the bullshit that haunts me. The things I can't forgive myself for. I don't want Holt to ever be on that list.

His eyes catch mine and instantly I watch the corner tug up in his trademark smile. I return it just as fast. Even though this trip to see Holt was completely done in panic, I'm glad it happened.

I needed this.

                          —————————

I know I said this earlier but god do I love these boys.

How's everyone surviving their quarantine? It feels like day 700.