.9.

"Birdie recommended this place." Mo tells me as we sit down at a table. "She said she might swing by. She should be just going on lunch."

He's checking his watch, not paying any attention to my unease.

"Mo?" I'm still trying to sort out therapy and everything that happened.

"Hmm?" He cracks open a menu and I can't for the life of me figure out how he can ride that roller coaster of emotions we just went through so seamlessly.

"Can we-uh not tell Birdie?" I ask.

He looks at me curiously from across the table.

"If that's what you want." His voice confused as he knits his eyebrows at me. "Why wouldn't you want us to know though Drew?"

I shrug my shoulders, staring at a mural in the restaurant. I'm not exactly sure how panda's wearing sombreros goes along with an American bistro but it's amusing.

"Check out the mural." I tell Mo.

He follows my gaze briefly before letting out a sigh. "Drew."

"Right." I mutter, be serious. "Isn't it enough that I just didn't?"

"I don't understand why though?" He pushes. "What you did for Ruby, for us, Drew I can't ever thank you enough."

My eyes snap to his. "That's exactly why I didn't want you to know. I don't want you to thank me."

"But..."

"No, Mo. I didn't do it so you felt like you owed me something. I don't want you to feel like that. Please." I'm begging him.

I need him to forgot about it. To never mention it, convince himself that it was the charity's decision, that I had nothing to do with it. Anything other than give me credit.

Mo doesn't owe me anything.

It's the other way around.

The bell on the door chimes, directly in my line of sight and I watch Birdie step in. Her wild curls are straightened making her look almost unrecognizable. I instantly miss her curls.

"Please Mo." I press one more time.

He surrenders, raising his hands slightly as Birdie spots us. She calls out, waving as that beautiful smile graces her face and my heart starts to thump harder in my chest.

"Hey daddy." She kisses Mo on the cheek before she takes the open seat next to me. Her hazel eyes meet mine, full of mischief as she says "I'm still basking in the glory of kicking your butt."

A laugh bursts out of me, loud and obnoxious. "I let you win."

She snorts, looking at her dad as she points her thumb at me. "You believe this guy dad?"

I'm too busy watching Birdie, taking her in, that I miss the look that they exchange. "Basketball never was his strong suit."

"Mo!" I yell at him. "What the hell? I was your fucking captain."

He chuckles. "Let's just say you didn't get captain because of your ball skills."

I gape, my chin nearly hitting the floor. "Brutal Mo."

But any fake hurt I'm trying to feel disappears because Birdie puts her hand on mine, her shoulder bumping into me. And I get lost in the feeling that erupts inside me as she smiles at me.