Ex-girlfriend interview

"So, let's talk about [Y/N]."

"Oh no." Tom chuckled, shifting in his seat. He knew the topic of [Y/N] was going to inevitable. He had tried hard to curve the questions in a different direction but he knew the radio host was a bit persistent than most interviewers he had been around. So, he was going to put on his big boy pants and tackle these questions regarding his ex-girlfriend.

"I know, I know. These aren't the kind of questions you wanna hear but you know, we gotta know Tom. We got to know." The host laughed in his normal obnoxious way. Clearing his throat, he started. "So what's the story, what happened man?"

Tom scratched the back of his ear as he stretched, "Well, uh, we, there's not much to this story, by the way." Shifting again in his seat, he shrugged. "I mean we just decided to stay friends."

"Aw, come on Tom. Give us more than that!" The host laughed, "Okay, how about this. Who broke up with who?"

"Me." Tom winced, rubbing his hands over his face, "[Y/N] is a wonderful, wonderful girl. I absolutely loved spending time with her but I physically couldn't give her the time she deserved, you know? She could only travel with me on rare occasions because she's a busy girl too. It just wasn't fair and I didn't want to hold her up when she could find someone else."

"I think you messed up, Tom." The host replied, shaking his head. "You gotta fight through those things, man. She's a keeper, dude. She's such a sweet girl. I mean a little feisty but believe me, I'm a man of experience, you can't let a girl like that get away."

Tom laughed, "I've been told I've messed up by a lot of people. My best buddy, Harrison, laid into me, actually."

The host frowned and rolled his eyes, "Yeah, well you did. Because now she's rumored to be with [another celeb crush]. How does that make you feel?"

Shrugging, "I mean if she's happy that's all that matters. It shouldn't matter how I feel, I'm the one who let her go. It's my own fault if I feel negative."

"Well, man, I think you can take him. One on one, whoever wins gets the girl."

Again, Tom laughed, shaking his head. "I don't know, I don't think so."

"I hope everything words out for you man. You two were a cute couple, it's a shame that it didn't work out but you know, that's life. It throws curveballs at you, you just got to know when to catch and when to dodge 'em."

Tom nodded, "Thanks. I mean who knows what'll happen the next time our paths cross."

"So you're saying that if she wanted to get back together, you'd be all in?"

"What? Yeah, I mean possibly." Shrugging, "Like I said, [Y/N] is a great girl. I just didn't want to be that guy who got so wrapped up in his work and lost track of time. I think if you're in a relationship, it should feel like it. You know, always trying to finish up so you can be with her or trying to find just five seconds to call to see how her day is going. I could't do that when we were together, it was just go, go, go. I had no time and again, it's not fair for her. I want her to be happy. That's the goal, isn't it?"

"You seem like a smart kid on the matter. I'll back off, now."The host laughed and continued on about a different topic, leaving Tom thinking about how much he actually missed [Y/N]. He had a point though, didn't he? Of course he did. Tom respected [Y/N] too much to leave her wondering if he was ever going to call because in all and all, he wanted to but never had the time.

Maybe after the interview he'd text her to see how she's doing and if she's happy with how things went down because if she wasn't. Maybe, just maybe, he could fix them.