chapter 20

Monday evening, April 6th, 2020

It was the first day of the school holidays and I was 'tutoring'. I didn't know how I was supposed to explain to my parents why I had no money when they asked me but I'd worry about that later.

I knew that an oncoming, important conversation was inevitable. My parents would eventually pull me aside and question me about the fight we had weeks ago. I'd have to prepare myself for that.

Despite my hatred for using Nix's car, I don't have a choice today. I'm going over to Kennedy's for the fundraiser for Liam. It was later tonight and she had begged me to get ready with her.

I was nervous. Mostly because I knew that I was going to be surrounded by Harry's family. For some weird reason, I wanted them to like me.

The windows are down. The stench of bleach was starting to become bearable. Regardless, I still grip the steering wheel tightly.

I should have just sucked it up and walked in the dark. But something about the dark scared me. I didn't like not knowing that something could be out there, lurking.

I'm playing Stubborn Love by The Lumineers quietly in the background as I turn into Ken's street. My fingers drum against the steering wheel when I notice her mother's car parked in the driveway.

I should have expected this. She did live here, after all. I just wasn't sure that I could look Laurel Bishop in the eye now that she had written that article on Nix. I didn't want her to see the resemblance and put two-and-two together somehow.

Low and behold, because I have the best luck, none other than Kennedy's mother answers the door once I've made the journey up the driveway.

"Hello, London," she beams.

"Hi...Laurel."

She ushers me inside and I can't help but tense up. I try to hide my face behind my hair. I was probably being dramatic but it was better to be safe than sorry.

"The girls are just upstairs. The fundraiser is just a brilliant idea. The handful of times I met Liam, he was a gentleman. Such a shame what happened to him," she frowns, shaking her head.

"What did hap—"

"Finally!" Kennedy deadpans, jumping off the last step and gathering me into a hug.

"Sorry, I lost track of time."

"No worries," she grins. "We still have two hours before we have to leave."

Kennedy grasps my hand and pulls me up the stairs. I trail behind her as she enters her bedroom.

"Hey, Lon!" Sydney calls. She's sitting in front of the mirror applying her mascara, cross-legged. Her reflection waves at me and I offer her a small smile.